Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

kennedy311
Advocate I
Advocate I

What counts as a "record" when connecting external data source to Power BI via API?

Showing my lack of knowledge on this one...

I am working with a niche CRM vendor to provide a connection from their CRM system to Power BI via their API. However their developer is asking me this:

"How many records will be transferred each month from the CRM to Power BI?"

I have an email back to the developer for more clarity on this, but thought I would ask the community as well: What counts as a "record" in this context? A CRM system holds records of people's contacts...is that the meaning in this case? Or are we using database lingo here and I'm just in over my head?

Any insight here would be much appreciated, even if it's just something like, "only the developer will know for sure."

Thanks as always!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @kennedy311,

This is hard to describe, I think they should be distinguished by the Datasource connection mode and data store mode. 
If you are trying to get data from a table that does not include any aggregation and dimension filed mappings. The total getting record amount should equal 'table row count' multiplied by 'refresh times'. 

For the detailed trace and analysis, I think using 'query diagnostics' and 'database logs'(session logs and the query the API executed) should be more suitable for your requirement.

Query Diagnostics - Power Query | Microsoft Docs

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @kennedy311,

This is hard to describe, I think they should be distinguished by the Datasource connection mode and data store mode. 
If you are trying to get data from a table that does not include any aggregation and dimension filed mappings. The total getting record amount should equal 'table row count' multiplied by 'refresh times'. 

For the detailed trace and analysis, I think using 'query diagnostics' and 'database logs'(session logs and the query the API executed) should be more suitable for your requirement.

Query Diagnostics - Power Query | Microsoft Docs

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.