Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

DebbieE
Community Champion
Community Champion

Tabular Editor Free and Paid

Just have a Question about tabular Editor

I use it alot but we have noticed that there is a paid Version (Tabular Editor 3)

So the question is, is Free version OK or am I missing out on a lot? And could there be a time where they end up getting rid of Free Tabulor Editor and it ends up being a paid for extra app?

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@DebbieE If the free Tabular Editor does what you need it to, then it is OK. 🙂

Haven't downloaded TE3 yet and played with it. Probably better and easier to use. You can download a 30 day free copy.

I don't think they will ever be able to get rid of the free version because of the licensing mechanism but maybe. Probably will just remain frozen in time.

Follow on LinkedIn
@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

@DebbieE I found this: What’s New in Tabular Editor 3 — Tabular Editor documentation

I'm considering writing a blog article on my first impressions of TE3, I just downloaded, installed and activated the evaluation copy.

Follow on LinkedIn
Latest book!:

dotykier
Advocate II
Advocate II

In terms of what data modelling capabilities Tabular Editor unlocks, there is no difference between the free version (Tabular Editor 2.x) and the paid version (Tabular Editor 3.x). The idea behind the paid version is to provide a premium development experience with features such as high-DPI, multi-monitor support, configurable IDE, DAX "IntelliSense", table preview, Pivot Grids, DAX scripting (i.e. editing multiple DAX measures in a single document) etc.

@Greg_Deckler gave an honest review of first impressions here. Admittedly, we have to do a better job promoting and documenting features that set it apart from the open source version. But as Greg said, there's a free 30-day trial, so feel free to give it a spin and see how you like it.

Rest assured that the free version of Tabular Editor is not going away. We are committed to keeping it up-to-date and provide assistance and bugfixes (gotta earn my MVP title, right?).

4 REPLIES 4
DebbieE
Community Champion
Community Champion

Thanks you @gre2 and @dotykier  Great responses. I will let the team know. this is really useful stuff

dotykier
Advocate II
Advocate II

In terms of what data modelling capabilities Tabular Editor unlocks, there is no difference between the free version (Tabular Editor 2.x) and the paid version (Tabular Editor 3.x). The idea behind the paid version is to provide a premium development experience with features such as high-DPI, multi-monitor support, configurable IDE, DAX "IntelliSense", table preview, Pivot Grids, DAX scripting (i.e. editing multiple DAX measures in a single document) etc.

@Greg_Deckler gave an honest review of first impressions here. Admittedly, we have to do a better job promoting and documenting features that set it apart from the open source version. But as Greg said, there's a free 30-day trial, so feel free to give it a spin and see how you like it.

Rest assured that the free version of Tabular Editor is not going away. We are committed to keeping it up-to-date and provide assistance and bugfixes (gotta earn my MVP title, right?).

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@DebbieE If the free Tabular Editor does what you need it to, then it is OK. 🙂

Haven't downloaded TE3 yet and played with it. Probably better and easier to use. You can download a 30 day free copy.

I don't think they will ever be able to get rid of the free version because of the licensing mechanism but maybe. Probably will just remain frozen in time.

Follow on LinkedIn
Latest book!:

@DebbieE I found this: What’s New in Tabular Editor 3 — Tabular Editor documentation

I'm considering writing a blog article on my first impressions of TE3, I just downloaded, installed and activated the evaluation copy.

Follow on LinkedIn
Latest book!:

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.