Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

lorenzon
Frequent Visitor

Export PNG of Visual and size

Hello All.

I'm developing an Azure logic app that sends an email with content exported from PowerBI.

I've been able to Export visuals with PNG option and included them in the html body of the mail.

However I can't find a solution to setting the right size of the visual: it seems like the Canvas Setting drives the actual size of the PNG so some visuals are correctly exported but there's additional white space which depends on the Canvas Size.

I tried to create an ad-hoc page with canvas size settings equal to the size of the visual but even in this case the png exported has white space around. I also tried to set "Actual size" in the page settings but still no luck.

Any suggestion please?

Thank you for your kind help.

3 REPLIES 3
v-yangliu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @lorenzon ,

You can try the following:

You can use Power BI Desktop to adjust the page view settings to "Actual Size" or "Fit to Width" before exporting, which will not eliminate the default margins and may reduce white space to some extent.

Page display settings in a Power BI report - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

vyangliumsft_0-1711095897239.png

Export the entire report to PowerPoint and then save it as a PNG image.

Export entire reports to PowerPoint - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Best Regards,

Liu Yang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you @v-yangliu-msft for your kind help. The system I'm woring on is an automated email that runs in an Azure Logic App. I'm using the Export to File for PowerBI reports: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/connectors/powerbi/#export-to-file-for-power-bi-reports and exporting the visual component as a PNG, which then is included in the html body of the email. Interestingly, what I just noticed is that the issue happens with Matrix but for Charts like BarChart there's no issue, meaning no additional white space.

Thank you.

I think I might understand now why this is happening: if the visualization is not reactive, the png is exported with a limited resolution. Charts don't have thsi problem. So now I'm working on a table like visualization in deneb to solve this problem.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

Top Solution Authors