Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

germo
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

missing rights in a downloaded copy of a copy of a report, how to reconnect to a semantic model?

It looks like there are different methods to copy reports inside Power BI services, and some of them causing issues, when downloading the report as file. Downloaded reports lost the connection to the semantic model and I can't restore them.

germo_0-1715079633450.png

first method (no issues):

PowerToys_uoW0jsdWDS.png

 second method, causing issues:

PowerToys_XnYhGGpAFP.png

When I download the files to edit them in Power BI desktop, the first report works fine, it is connected to the semantic model. And the semantic model can be changed:

germo_1-1715079874904.png

When I download a copy of the second report (the issue is related to all reports, which are copied this way), then the data source is lost and can't be restored:

PowerToys_RutrdmBpsx.png

> on this PC, no rights are saved for you

And there is no instruction, how to save / setup required rights and how to re-connect a required data source.

My questions:

- why the two methods to create a copy of a report have different results? Is this a bug or a feature?

- when it is a feature, where it is explained?

- How to re-connect the download of the copy to a data source?

The background: the editor in the Web browser is too limited. For example, we miss a copy and paste of visuals. 

5 REPLIES 5
germo
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

I contacted the support, they investigate the issue.

Hi @germo ,

Thank you! If your problem can be solved, please kindly attach the solution below so that more people facing the same problem can find a solution faster!

Best Regards,
Dino Tao

v-junyant-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @germo ,

After my test, it does seem as if the two save a copy types are different.
Here are my test results:
Copy from workspace:

vjunyantmsft_0-1715145377317.png

Copy from report:

vjunyantmsft_1-1715145435458.png

I would like to confirm a few things with you to troubleshoot whether this is a bug or not. First of all, is it true that the data source of all the reports with this problem is semantic model or are there reports with other data sources that have had this problem as well? Secondly, when did the issue occur and has it occurred before?

Best Regards,
Dino Tao

Hi @v-junyant-msft 

all my sources are semantic models.

I discovered the problem by chance and only found out the reason for the problem through various experiments: One user did a personal copy of my master report. He did some changes in his copy, and we did not found, how to copy and paste visuals, using the web GUI. I suggested to download the report as file to use Power BI desktop. Because I had never issues to download original master reports, to modify them using Power BI desktop. But I never downloaded a copy of a report, I downloaded only original reports.

Hi @germo ,

Based on your description and the results of my tests, the problem can be complicated, so if you need to solve the problem urgently, I would suggest that you open a Support ticket . In this case , a dedicated Microsoft engineer will come to solve the problem for you.

The link of Power BI Support: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/support/

For how to create a support ticket, please refer to https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-create-a-support-ticket-in-Power-BI/ba-p/6830...

Best Regards,
Dino Tao

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.