Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

pang22
Helper II
Helper II

make a matrix visual and sum qty by quarter in PowerBI

Hello,

I have a data below.

ItemDateQty
A2/1/20242
A4/1/20245
A2/1/20242
B2/1/20244
B2/1/20242
B12/31/20241

How to make a matrix visual in PowerBI and use DAX to calculate the sum of qty by each quarter like below output?

pang22_0-1714470098186.png

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Sergii24
Super User
Super User

Hi @pang22, you need to create a "Date Table" with quarter column (you can learn more about it here, you'll find plenty templates online). Then connect Date Table with your fact table (using date column) and drag and drop requested columns to the canvas: Item to Rows, Quarter (from Date Table) to columns and Qty to Values section.

Good luck! 🙂

View solution in original post

v-yangliu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

I’d like to acknowledge the valuable input provided by the @Sergii24 . Their initial ideas were instrumental in guiding my approach, and here's a little detail I'd like to add.

Hi  @pang22 ,

If you encounter scenarios where blank values are displayed and Q3 is not displayed:

vyangliumsft_0-1714544683920.png

You can create the following measure to put into Values:

Value =
    SUM('Table'[Qty]) + 0

vyangliumsft_1-1714544683925.png

Best Regards,

Liu Yang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-yangliu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

I’d like to acknowledge the valuable input provided by the @Sergii24 . Their initial ideas were instrumental in guiding my approach, and here's a little detail I'd like to add.

Hi  @pang22 ,

If you encounter scenarios where blank values are displayed and Q3 is not displayed:

vyangliumsft_0-1714544683920.png

You can create the following measure to put into Values:

Value =
    SUM('Table'[Qty]) + 0

vyangliumsft_1-1714544683925.png

Best Regards,

Liu Yang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Sergii24
Super User
Super User

Hi @pang22, you need to create a "Date Table" with quarter column (you can learn more about it here, you'll find plenty templates online). Then connect Date Table with your fact table (using date column) and drag and drop requested columns to the canvas: Item to Rows, Quarter (from Date Table) to columns and Qty to Values section.

Good luck! 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.