Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

mikebi
Helper III
Helper III

hiding sheets by role

Hello,

Is there a way to hide sheets by role in Power BI. 

As an example only allow users in the Finance Department to view a certain set of sheets and users in other departments cannot see these sheets?

If not then I assume the best solution is to create workspaces for Finance, Sales, Marketing, etc?

Thank You,

Michael

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

This is what I was thinking about.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
d_rohlfs
Helper I
Helper I

Why don't you try creating separate audiences for each group? You can do this while creating or updating the app in the Power BI service. This doesn't work if the end users are in the workspace, but if they are just trying to view the reports using an app would be the best solution anyways. 

To be able to hide the different pages of a report you would need to post the pages to separate dashboards, but once you already have your report written this is a simpler solution than recreating navigation inside of your report. 
Or, you could also create separate reports for each audience using the same semantic model. That way when you have a refresh scheduled it only needs to go through once. If everything is set up correctly you should be able to just copy and paste your visuals from one report to the next. 

Hello,

Thank You.

I think I like creating custom reports from the same semantic model.  This seems to be "clean".

Michael

miTutorials
Super User
Super User

There is a work around however it is not fool proof , please see the below tutorial.

Page level Security in PowerBI | Hide or show page based on user | MiTutorials - YouTube

Regards

Ismail

Hello,

If this is not foolproof and I am dealing with sensitive data is it best to just create separate workspaces?

Michael

This is what I was thinking about.

zenisekd
Super User
Super User

I don't think that can be done easily, as one would expect. I could think of creating a page navigation slicer for each page, which could be restricted by the role (if filters are applied) so pages are hidden and the user can see only values in the page navigator, which are not filtered our and thus can navigate only to certain pages.... 

Hello,  Is the best practice to create a separate workspace for each role and then create separate reports for each role?   Curious what other users have done when they have users with different roles that can't see all the data.  Thank You,  Michael

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.