Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

JimJim
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

filtering row level data after slicer selection

Hi Guys,

I have a really complicated problem here that has stumped me for a few days now. I have created a test report so that I can show you my issue: agreements_test.pbix

On my report, I am trying to show 2 measures:

Selected Product Value (value of selected product)

Other Product Value (value of all other key products)

The caveat is that Other Product Value should only calculate for agreements that also have a product in the slicer. So if a user selects Generator then Other Product Value should calculate the value of all other products but only for agreements that also have a generator, otherwise it should return blank.

I'm aware that I can apply a measure as a filter but I really need to filter the row level data before the measure calculates. Is this even possible?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
kpost
Super User
Super User

If I understand correctly, you want the 'other' to total all non-selected key products, but only for agreements that do contain the selected product, for example if generator is selected, it will total all NON-generator items but only for agreements containing generators.  If the result is 0, return Blank instead.

I think this will do it for you.  I have also attached the Power BI file.

Total_All_Non-Selected_But_Agreement_Contains_Selected =

var selected_product = SELECTEDVALUE('product'[product])
var table1 = CALCULATETABLE(agreements, ALL('product'[product]), 'product'[key_product] = 1)
var table2 = SUMMARIZE(
                table1,
                [agreement_number],
                "@selected_sum", CALCULATE(COALESCE(SUM(agreements[agreement_value]), 0), 'product'[product] = selected_product),
                "@not_selected_sum", CALCULATE(COALESCE(SUM(agreements[agreement_value]), 0), 'product'[product] <> selected_product)
                )

VAR RESULT =
    COALESCE(SUMX(table2, IF([@selected_sum] > 0, [@not_selected_sum], 0)), 0)
RETURN IF(RESULT = 0, BLANK(), RESULT)

///Mediocre Power BI Advice, but it's free///

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
kpost
Super User
Super User

If I understand correctly, you want the 'other' to total all non-selected key products, but only for agreements that do contain the selected product, for example if generator is selected, it will total all NON-generator items but only for agreements containing generators.  If the result is 0, return Blank instead.

I think this will do it for you.  I have also attached the Power BI file.

Total_All_Non-Selected_But_Agreement_Contains_Selected =

var selected_product = SELECTEDVALUE('product'[product])
var table1 = CALCULATETABLE(agreements, ALL('product'[product]), 'product'[key_product] = 1)
var table2 = SUMMARIZE(
                table1,
                [agreement_number],
                "@selected_sum", CALCULATE(COALESCE(SUM(agreements[agreement_value]), 0), 'product'[product] = selected_product),
                "@not_selected_sum", CALCULATE(COALESCE(SUM(agreements[agreement_value]), 0), 'product'[product] <> selected_product)
                )

VAR RESULT =
    COALESCE(SUMX(table2, IF([@selected_sum] > 0, [@not_selected_sum], 0)), 0)
RETURN IF(RESULT = 0, BLANK(), RESULT)

///Mediocre Power BI Advice, but it's free///
JimJim
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

@kpost awesome job 😎

My next step is to recreate the solution on my main report and see how it scales.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.