Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

cant figure out filter by calculate age

I have a date column in a table with a date hierachy (see image).  The date in the column is formated as "Sunday, 12 March 2023"

I want to add some kind of drop down or tick boxes for 30, 60 and 90 days.  I would select 30 and it will show everything older than 30 days from todays date.  I'm not good with the formulas, dax etc so if there is a reaosnably simple way to do this please help.  Or if its a little complicated i'll give it a try but please provide details so i can follow along.

Thanks. 

Capture.JPG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Arul
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous ,

This is possible via static table approach where you need to create measure for each and every metrics using DAX and map that measures to static table column values 30,60,90 and use this column in the dropdown. 
Refer this blog - https://radacad.com/change-the-column-or-measure-value-in-a-power-bi-visual-by-selection-of-the-slicer-parameter-table-pattern
But if you are looking for 30, 30-60, 60-90 then you can create the calculated column using the below code.

Dropdown Slicer = 
VAR _today = TODAY()
VAR _today30 = TODAY()-30
VAR _today60 = TODAY()-60
VAR _today90 = TODAY()-90
RETURN SWITCH(TRUE(),
    'Date'[Date]<=_today && 'Date'[Date]>_today30,"Last 30",
    'Date'[Date]<=_today30 && 'Date'[Date]>_today60,"30-60",
    'Date'[Date]<=_today60 && 'Date'[Date]>=_today90,"60-90",
    "More than 90"
    )

Please let me know if it is helping or not.

Thanks,

Arul

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

LinkedIn

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
croberts21
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

For this I make an Age column in Power Query. It's pretty easy. First select your date column in Power Query. Then go to Add Column Tab, click Date Dropdown, click Age. 

croberts21_0-1679914750375.png

Now back in PBI Desktop you can make a filter on age, or include the filter in a DAX expression. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks.  This kind of worked.  2 things:

1. In the calculated column the value have no decimal places e.g. whole numbers 30,31,32 etc.  However when i use a standard slicer with the calcualted column the value has 2 decimla places.  How do i get rid of that?

2. In the slicer id i use the list or dropbox option and click 30 i only get things 30 days old when i want everything 30 days or older.  It works using the great than or equal to option but its a bit ugly.  Would prefer click 30 and you get every 30 days or older.

Arul
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous ,

This is possible via static table approach where you need to create measure for each and every metrics using DAX and map that measures to static table column values 30,60,90 and use this column in the dropdown. 
Refer this blog - https://radacad.com/change-the-column-or-measure-value-in-a-power-bi-visual-by-selection-of-the-slicer-parameter-table-pattern
But if you are looking for 30, 30-60, 60-90 then you can create the calculated column using the below code.

Dropdown Slicer = 
VAR _today = TODAY()
VAR _today30 = TODAY()-30
VAR _today60 = TODAY()-60
VAR _today90 = TODAY()-90
RETURN SWITCH(TRUE(),
    'Date'[Date]<=_today && 'Date'[Date]>_today30,"Last 30",
    'Date'[Date]<=_today30 && 'Date'[Date]>_today60,"30-60",
    'Date'[Date]<=_today60 && 'Date'[Date]>=_today90,"60-90",
    "More than 90"
    )

Please let me know if it is helping or not.

Thanks,

Arul

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

LinkedIn

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.