Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

alisar

automated glossary integration using tooltips

Hi everyone.

I'm new to the world of development in Power BI (and development in general) and I need some help. I've spent hours researching but there doesn't currently seem to be anything like what I need as an option. Elements of my idea exist individually, but never combined.

I've been given the task of attempting to integrate my company's informatica glossary into power bi desktop to allow users to access definitions from the desktop app. So far, I've come up with some possible solutions but I need to know if they're possible. 

My idea is to use tooltips to have the glossary definition of terms come up when the user hovers over an element on the page. There is evidence of this being done successfully and this is the kind of feature that my team would LOVE to have. The question then became, how can this be automated so that we don't have to set up the same tooltip manually on every every? And by extension, can this be rolled out across the company?

I then thought about the potential of creating an external tool that could be rolled out across the company and would connect to the API to get the data needed, and then create the tooltip. Is this a possibility, or is this completely impossible?

So, tl:dr:

1. Is it possible to connect to an API data source automatically upon creation of a new report?

2. Can the creation and formatting of a tooltip be automated (coded)?

3. Could an external tool rolled out across the company automatically create a tooltip in a new report?

4. Is there another way to have every report across the company show glossary definitions?

5. Am I just crazy?

I'm sorry if I didn't explain this very well.

1 REPLY 1
v-rongtiep-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @alisar ,

As far as I concerned, this is by design. Power BI is now unable to achieve what you need . You can submit an idea for it at   https://ideas.powerbi.com/ideas/   and wait for users with the same needs as you to vote for you to help make it happen as soon as possible.

Best Regards
Community Support Team _ Rongtie

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.