Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

atasgao
Helper II
Helper II

YTD

Hi!

So, On the 8th business day of a month onwards I would like to show the data till last month and before the 8th business day I would like to show the data for the month before the last month. 

The formula I am using here 

CurrentDate = TODAY()
MonthBack_1 = Date( YEAR(DimDate[CurrentDate]-25),MONTH(DimDate[CurrentDate]-25),01)
MonthBack_2 = Date( YEAR(DimDate[CurrentDate]-60),MONTH(DimDate[CurrentDate]-60),01)

EightBusinessday = CALCULATE(MIN(DimDate[Day]),Filter(DimDate, DimDate[CurrentMonthBusinessDay]=8 ))

M_YTDBudget = CALCULATE([M_AnnualBudgetByMonth],FILTER(ALL( DimDate[Month] ), DimDate[Month] <= IF(Day(Now())<EightBusinessday, MAX(Dimdate[monthBack_2]), MAX(Dimdate[monthBack_1]))))

This M_YTD is giving me data for all the months.

Thanks, 

Aakanksha

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-jayw-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @atasgao ,

Create a column in DimDate table to get 8th business_day for each month.

YearMonth = FORMAT(dimdate[Date],"YYYYMM")

business_day = IF(WEEKDAY('dimdate'[Date],2)<=5,'dimdate'[Date])

is_eight = RANKX(FILTER(dimdate,dimdate[business_day]<>BLANK()&&dimdate[YearMonth]=EARLIER(dimdate[YearMonth])),dimdate[business_day],,ASC)

8_business_day = CALCULATE(MAX(dimdate[Date]),FILTER(dimdate,dimdate[YearMonth]=EARLIER(dimdate[YearMonth])&&[is_eight]=8))

1.PNG

Then create measures to get the value of last month or before last month.

last_1_month = CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[Budget]),FILTER(ALL('Table'),FORMAT(EDATE('Table'[Date],+1),"YYYYMM")=SELECTEDVALUE(dimdate[YearMonth])))

last_2_month = CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[Budget]),FILTER(ALL('Table'),FORMAT(EDATE('Table'[Date],+2),"YYYYMM")=SELECTEDVALUE(dimdate[YearMonth])))

eight_bussiness = IF(SELECTEDVALUE(dimdate[8_business_day])<=TODAY(),'Table'[last_1_month],'Table'[last_2_month])

last_1_month_YTD = CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[Budget]),FILTER(ALL('Table'),FORMAT(EDATE('Table'[Date],+1),"YYYYMM")<=SELECTEDVALUE(dimdate[YearMonth])))

last_2_month_YTD = CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[Budget]),FILTER(ALL('Table'),FORMAT(EDATE('Table'[Date],+2),"YYYYMM")<=SELECTEDVALUE(dimdate[YearMonth])))

eight_bussiness_YTD = IF(SELECTEDVALUE(dimdate[8_business_day])<=TODAY(),'Table'[last_1_month_YTD],'Table'[last_2_month_YTD])

2.PNG

You could also add [project_name] to filter codition.

Pbix as attached.

Best Regards,

Jay

Community Support Team _ Jay
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution
to help the other members find it.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
v-jayw-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @atasgao ,

Create a column in DimDate table to get 8th business_day for each month.

YearMonth = FORMAT(dimdate[Date],"YYYYMM")

business_day = IF(WEEKDAY('dimdate'[Date],2)<=5,'dimdate'[Date])

is_eight = RANKX(FILTER(dimdate,dimdate[business_day]<>BLANK()&&dimdate[YearMonth]=EARLIER(dimdate[YearMonth])),dimdate[business_day],,ASC)

8_business_day = CALCULATE(MAX(dimdate[Date]),FILTER(dimdate,dimdate[YearMonth]=EARLIER(dimdate[YearMonth])&&[is_eight]=8))

1.PNG

Then create measures to get the value of last month or before last month.

last_1_month = CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[Budget]),FILTER(ALL('Table'),FORMAT(EDATE('Table'[Date],+1),"YYYYMM")=SELECTEDVALUE(dimdate[YearMonth])))

last_2_month = CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[Budget]),FILTER(ALL('Table'),FORMAT(EDATE('Table'[Date],+2),"YYYYMM")=SELECTEDVALUE(dimdate[YearMonth])))

eight_bussiness = IF(SELECTEDVALUE(dimdate[8_business_day])<=TODAY(),'Table'[last_1_month],'Table'[last_2_month])

last_1_month_YTD = CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[Budget]),FILTER(ALL('Table'),FORMAT(EDATE('Table'[Date],+1),"YYYYMM")<=SELECTEDVALUE(dimdate[YearMonth])))

last_2_month_YTD = CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[Budget]),FILTER(ALL('Table'),FORMAT(EDATE('Table'[Date],+2),"YYYYMM")<=SELECTEDVALUE(dimdate[YearMonth])))

eight_bussiness_YTD = IF(SELECTEDVALUE(dimdate[8_business_day])<=TODAY(),'Table'[last_1_month_YTD],'Table'[last_2_month_YTD])

2.PNG

You could also add [project_name] to filter codition.

Pbix as attached.

Best Regards,

Jay

Community Support Team _ Jay
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution
to help the other members find it.
AlexisOlson
Super User
Super User

How about this instead?

M_YTDBudget =
VAR EightBusinessday =
    CALCULATE (
        MIN ( DimDate[Date] ),
        DimDate[CurrentMonthBusinessDay] = 8
    )
VAR EndDate =
    IF (
        TODAY () < EightBusinessday,
        EOMONTH ( TODAY (), -2 ),
        EOMONTH ( TODAY (), -1 )
    )
RETURN
    CALCULATE (
        [M_AnnualBudgetByMonth],
        DimDate[Date] <= EndDate
    )

@AlexisOlson When I use the above formula for all the months it is giving the same value. 

atasgao_0-1642715936630.png

Right. The logic is based on TODAY(), not MonthName.

If you want something different, please explain how CurrentMonthBusinessDay is defined (is it current month only or does it give the business day in every month?) and how you expect the calculation to work in your screenshot scenario.

@AlexisOlson The CurrentMonthBusinessDay gives business day each month. So, basically I want the show the data till December as the 8th business day for this month is 12th Jan. but before 8th business day ie before 12th Jan it should show the data till Nov. 

atasgao_0-1642718407845.png

Now the above calculations gives me aggregated value for all the months.

Thanks, 

Aakanksha

Is the KEEPFILTERS version what you're looking for then?

M_YTDBudget =
VAR EightBusinessday =
    CALCULATE (
        MIN ( DimDate[Date] ),
        DimDate[CurrentMonthBusinessDay] = 8
    )
VAR EndDate =
    IF (
        TODAY () < EightBusinessday,
        EOMONTH ( TODAY (), -2 ),
        EOMONTH ( TODAY (), -1 )
    )
RETURN
    CALCULATE (
        [M_AnnualBudgetByMonth],
        KEEPFILTERS ( DimDate[Date] <= EndDate )
    )

Attaching a screenshot - where the end date is showing 11/30/2021. and if I select the EightBusinessday as 15 then the date is 1/24/2022 So, the data should populate till the 11/30/2021 and not till december month. And after 1/24/2022 the data will show till Dec 

atasgao_0-1642720045206.png

Now, still the data is populating for all the months if I use keepfilters version.  I want to filter out the YTD data for till the month of nov.  

Any idea how can I achieve that? 

Before I was using the below formula but as the year changed now the formula doesnt work 

= CALCULATE([M_AnnualBudgetByMonth],FILTER(ALL( DimDate[Month] ), DimDate[Month] <= IF(Day(Now())<=15,Month(Now())-2,MONTH(Now())-1)))

Thanks

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.