Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

EaglesFly123

Using RANKX to get a records Value on a Particular Date

I am trying to create a measure that generates daily data showing what Status an ID is in, when the source data itself does not exist in a daily matter. Ultimately, I want to show how many records were in each state on each day of a specified time period  as well as a table showing the status for each day.

Sample Source Data & Expected Results

To accomplish this, I am trying to use the RANKX function to determine what is the most recent state to the day being evaluated. I am having trouble getting the syntax to give the results I am looking for. I have attached some source sample data as well as the Expected results.

Below is one attempt I've made, where _date is coming from a seperate Date Table that has no relationship to my Table. I am able to get the proper Table (via the Filter expression in the first argument) to be used in RANKX, its the 2nd Expression argument that I am having trouble with.

Rank =
var _date = MAX(Calendar[Date])
var _id = MAX(Table[ID])
Return 
    RANKX(
        FILTER(
            Table,
            Table[ChangedDate']<=_date && Table[ID]=_id),
        CALCULATE(
            SUM(ChangedDate)),,
        ASC)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yangliu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @EaglesFly123 ,

Here are the steps you can follow:

Show how many records there are in each state every day in the specified time period:

1. Create calculated table.

Table 2 =
SUMMARIZE('Table','Table'[Date],
"New",CALCULATE(COUNT('Table'[WorkItem ID]),FILTER(ALL('Table'),'Table'[Date]=MAX('Table'[Date])&&'Table'[State]="New")),
"Reay",CALCULATE(COUNT('Table'[WorkItem ID]),FILTER(ALL('Table'),'Table'[Date]=MAX('Table'[Date])&&'Table'[State]="Ready")),
"Active",CALCULATE(COUNT('Table'[WorkItem ID]),FILTER(ALL('Table'),'Table'[Date]=MAX('Table'[Date])&&'Table'[State]="Active")),
"Test",CALCULATE(COUNT('Table'[WorkItem ID]),FILTER(ALL('Table'),'Table'[Date]=MAX('Table'[Date])&&'Table'[State]="Test")),
"Done",CALCULATE(COUNT('Table'[WorkItem ID]),FILTER(ALL('Table'),'Table'[Date]=MAX('Table'[Date])&&'Table'[State]="Done"))
)

2. Result:

v-yangliu-msft_0-1622188478730.png

Display the latest status every day:

Is your latest status based on the largest ID and grouping by date?

1. Create calculated column.

rank =
var _rank=RANKX(FILTER(ALL('Table'),'Table'[Date]=EARLIER('Table'[Date])),'Table'[WorkItem ID],,ASC)
return
_rank
new staus =
CALCULATE(MAX('Table'[State]),FILTER(ALL('Table'),'Table'[rank]=MAX('Table'[rank])&&'Table'[Date]=EARLIER('Table'[Date])) )

2. Result:

v-yangliu-msft_1-1622188478733.png

Best Regards,

Liu Yang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-yangliu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @EaglesFly123 ,

Here are the steps you can follow:

Show how many records there are in each state every day in the specified time period:

1. Create calculated table.

Table 2 =
SUMMARIZE('Table','Table'[Date],
"New",CALCULATE(COUNT('Table'[WorkItem ID]),FILTER(ALL('Table'),'Table'[Date]=MAX('Table'[Date])&&'Table'[State]="New")),
"Reay",CALCULATE(COUNT('Table'[WorkItem ID]),FILTER(ALL('Table'),'Table'[Date]=MAX('Table'[Date])&&'Table'[State]="Ready")),
"Active",CALCULATE(COUNT('Table'[WorkItem ID]),FILTER(ALL('Table'),'Table'[Date]=MAX('Table'[Date])&&'Table'[State]="Active")),
"Test",CALCULATE(COUNT('Table'[WorkItem ID]),FILTER(ALL('Table'),'Table'[Date]=MAX('Table'[Date])&&'Table'[State]="Test")),
"Done",CALCULATE(COUNT('Table'[WorkItem ID]),FILTER(ALL('Table'),'Table'[Date]=MAX('Table'[Date])&&'Table'[State]="Done"))
)

2. Result:

v-yangliu-msft_0-1622188478730.png

Display the latest status every day:

Is your latest status based on the largest ID and grouping by date?

1. Create calculated column.

rank =
var _rank=RANKX(FILTER(ALL('Table'),'Table'[Date]=EARLIER('Table'[Date])),'Table'[WorkItem ID],,ASC)
return
_rank
new staus =
CALCULATE(MAX('Table'[State]),FILTER(ALL('Table'),'Table'[rank]=MAX('Table'[rank])&&'Table'[Date]=EARLIER('Table'[Date])) )

2. Result:

v-yangliu-msft_1-1622188478733.png

Best Regards,

Liu Yang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors