Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

portapattie
Regular Visitor

Using Power Automate to export data from Usage Metrics Report Dataset into Power BI

I understand that if I try to "get data" from the Usage Metrics Report dataset in Power BI, it will perform a Direct Query instead of an Import. The reason I want to have it in Import Mode is so that I can view my data in Data view and Transform Data. 

I know that if I used Power Automate to export data from the Usage Metric Report dataset, it'll be an import. How would I go about doing this? And is it recommended to have a scheduled or manual trigger?

2 REPLIES 2
v-nuoc-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @portapattie 

To export data from the Usage Metrics Report dataset in Power BI and place it in import mode, you can try the following steps using Power Automate:

Navigate to Create > Scheduled Cloud Flow to start a new cloud flow.

Name your flow, set the start date and time, and repeat frequency.

Add a new step and search for Power BI. select Export to File for a Power BI report.

Select the workspace and report. For Export Format, select the desired format.

You also have the option to specify the pages to be exported, if required.

Add another new step to configure the exported file to be emailed using Outlook 's Send Email action.

Export and email a report with Power Automate - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Deciding between scheduled or manual triggers depends on your specific needs:

Scheduled Triggers: if you need regular updates at fixed intervals, you can choose scheduled triggers. This ensures that your data is continually refreshed without the need for manual intervention.

Manual triggers: Manual triggers are suitable for ad-hoc exports where you do not need to update your data at regular intervals. This gives you control over when the data is exported, which is useful for one-off analyses or when data changes infrequently.

In summary, timed triggers are recommended if your use case requires up-to-date data at a specific time. For less frequent or on-demand exports, manual triggers may be more appropriate.

Regards,

Nono Chen

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

So this solution has Power Automate exporting the data into a PDF or PPT presentation. I really don't want that, I just want it in excel format. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.