Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rocky09
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Update Notification of New release

I used to see that the Power BI Desktop shows New update available notifications before. However, I am not seeing these notifications. Is there anything changed? I haven't been active in the community for some months.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-lid-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @rocky09 ,

Have you open the show notification settings as following picture? How long did you not recevie the update nofification? What the current version of Power BI Desktop you are using? Please try to update to the latest version.

1.PNG2.PNG

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Dong Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22
chrislfish
Helper I
Helper I

I guess I spoke too soon.  This time I got no notification again.

Anonymous
Not applicable

In my case, the last notification i got in desktop bottom bar was December. I've always had the option selected to notify for new updates. I do know a few others on my team get the notification. i check the Power BI download on Microsoft site to see if there's any new updates.

chrislfish
Helper I
Helper I

Yesterday a new release came out.  I opened PBI Desktop today and there's no notification of any kind that there's a new version available.  Why is this marked solved?

Hi @chrislfish ,

Sorry for our delay in response, If you are still occurred this issue after install the February version of Power BI Desktop, Could you please check the following things?

1- Is it only one machine that has this issue or multiple ones?

2- For the machine that is not working, when did it stop, with which release?

3- I am also suspecting that might be network security blocking the notification request for some reason.

Would they please try this link in the browser https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=524399, this is the actual request sent from the Application to check for a newer version. If this request is successful it should retturna .json file looking like the following. If, they couldn't get successful response, then that should be the issue.
{

"release":
    {
        "x86":[{"key":"ClientExpiryDateTime","value":"2015\/01\/01"},{"key":"ClientExpiryVersion","value":"0.0.0.0"},{"key":"ClientUpdateLocation","value":"https:\/\/go.microsoft.com\/fwlink\/?LinkID=524794"},{"key":"ClientUpdateVersion","value":"2.76.5678.781"},{"key":"PublishFileSizeLimitInMB","value":"1024"},{"key":"ShowLeadGenDialog","value":"1"},{"key":"ImportV2MinFileSizeLimitInMB","value":"1024"},{"key":"PremiumWorkspacePublishFileSizeLimitInMB","value":"10240"}],
        "x64":[{"key":"ClientExpiryDateTime","value":"2015\/01\/01"},{"key":"ClientExpiryVersion","value":"0.0.0.0"},{"key":"ClientUpdateLocation","value":"https:\/\/go.microsoft.com\/fwlink\/?LinkID=524795"},{"key":"ClientUpdateVersion","value":"2.76.5678.781"},{"key":"PublishFileSizeLimitInMB","value":"1024"},{"key":"ShowLeadGenDialog","value":"1"},{"key":"ImportV2MinFileSizeLimitInMB","value":"1024"},{"key":"PremiumWorkspacePublishFileSizeLimitInMB","value":"10240"}]
    },
    "preview":
    {
        "x86":[{"key":"ClientExpiryDateTime","value":"2015\/01\/01"},{"key":"ClientExpiryVersion","value":"0.0.0.0"},{"key":"ClientUpdateLocation","value":"https:\/\/go.microsoft.com\/fwlink\/?LinkID=524794"},{"key":"ClientUpdateVersion","value":"2.76.5678.781"},{"key":"PublishFileSizeLimitInMB","value":"1024"},{"key":"ShowLeadGenDialog","value":"1"},{"key":"ImportV2MinFileSizeLimitInMB","value":"1024"},{"key":"PremiumWorkspacePublishFileSizeLimitInMB","value":"10240"}],
        "x64":[{"key":"ClientExpiryDateTime","value":"2015\/01\/01"},{"key":"ClientExpiryVersion","value":"0.0.0.0"},{"key":"ClientUpdateLocation","value":"https:\/\/go.microsoft.com\/fwlink\/?LinkID=524795"},{"key":"ClientUpdateVersion","value":"2.76.5678.781"},{"key":"PublishFileSizeLimitInMB","value":"1024"},{"key":"ShowLeadGenDialog","value":"1"},{"key":"ImportV2MinFileSizeLimitInMB","value":"1024"},{"key":"PremiumWorkspacePublishFileSizeLimitInMB","value":"10240"}]
    }
}

4- Using fiddler, (but you need to enable https request first), after get Fiddler ready, run Power  BI Desktop and check in Fiddler if the request I mentioned above in #3 is actually issued from the application or not

Best regards,

Hi @v-lid-msft,

Is the link you provides still valid?

As it stands, I see from the .json file returned; the "ClientUpdateVersion" value is "2.97.920.0." However, on the Power BI download page (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=58494); the current version is 2.98.683.0. I am running version 2.97.921.0 and NOT getting an update notification (which kind of makes sense because 2.97.920.0 is less than 2.97.921.0). However, ther is actually a newer version. I guess something is off with the update notifications.

1 - It seems to be only my machine, but I didn't do an exhaustive poll of users.  The other main user of PBI Desktop here said his auto-updates.  He may be using the one from the MS Store.  I am using the one from MS Downloads.

2 - I don't remember exactly which release it stopped, but I first noticed it around August 2019.  I think it was before that though.

3 - I tried the link and got the proper response.

4 - I'm not a web or security dev so I've never used or know anything about Fiddler.

I'm still not sure what is supposed to happen.  Where are the notifications supposed to show up, as a Windows notification or something inside the app?

Thanks.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi!1 I have the same issue since last year.. 
a. There is another machine with version: 2.78.5740.861 (february, 2020), and it's not possible to select the option update notitications:
MicrosoftTeams-image (8).png

b. In the other machine, the option is selected although there are no notifications of new releases.
2. I stopped receiving notifications in (b) after installing version: 2.72.5556.801 64-bit (august 2019) and I'm still not getting notifications.

3. We get the json file correctly

4. The request is not issued by power bi desktop

Thanks!!
Andrea

Hi @Anonymous , @chrislfish ,

Thanks again for your additional information, for the MS Store version, the option can not be selected because it will update automatically. The notification is just like receiving a notification in screen and notification center after you take a screenshot using the build-in shotcut. We will update here as soon as we got anything new.

Best regards,

I opened PBI Desktop today and received a notification to download the latest version.  It took me to the MS Store version instead of the download version, which is what I have installed.  But at least I got a notification!

@chrislfish 

Where have you seen the new release? (February 2020?) 

It's not on the Blog page for Ferbruary, and releases are included as an entry in the blog page for the relevant month.

February 2020 Blog page 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
In doing so, you are also helping me. Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!
Paul on Linkedin.

I always check here:  https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=58494

It says it was published yesterday, but the version number hasn't changed.  I have no idea what is going on.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have the same issue.  I haven't received a notification since august 2019 and I have always had the check box checked for getting notifications. 

v-lid-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @rocky09 ,

Have you open the show notification settings as following picture? How long did you not recevie the update nofification? What the current version of Power BI Desktop you are using? Please try to update to the latest version.

1.PNG2.PNG

Best regards,

the update notification is already enabled. Let me see wait and see this month release.

I have the same issue.  I haven't seen a notification for at least 4 months and I have had the check box checked for getting notifications the entire time.

Yes, I am still not seeing any update notifications.

Hi @rocky09 , @chrislfish 

How long have you been unable to receive update notifications on the older version of Power BI Desktop? Could you please check from File Menu -> Options andd settings-> Options -> Update -> that Display update notifications for Power BI Desktop is checked?

Best regards,

I think you haven't noticed my previous reply here 

The checkbox was already enabled. Thanks for your reply.

Hi @rocky09 ,

Thank you for your patience and confirmation. We will update here as soon as we figure out the reason.

Please also Get the latest version of Power BI Desktop from the Download Center. If you're running Windows 10, you can also get Power BI Desktop from Microsoft Store on Windows 10.

Best regards,

I got the latest version at the time of my first post (12/30).  I always download from the downlooad center instead of the Microsoft Store because I had an issue at one point where the version from the download center was different than the one from the MS Store.  It was not that they were different releases, it was that they were released at the same time, but were different.  I had both installed on my PC and they didn't like each other.  I finally got rid of the one from the MS Store and only go get the one from the download center now when it seems like there should be a new release or I notice one of my colleagues has a newer version because I won't get a notification.  How is it supposed to notify us?  Is it supposed to show up in the Windows notification area or is it something inside the app itself?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors