Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Blaisepascal
Regular Visitor

Trouble Installing Power BI Due to WebView2 Missing Error

Hello,

power bi.PNG 

I am reaching out regarding an ongoing issue I've encountered while trying to install Power BI on my Windows 11 system. Despite multiple attempts with different versions, I consistently receive an error stating that WebView2 is missing, despite having installed it.

Here are the details of my problem:

-I have attempted to install various versions of Power BI over the past few months.

-Each time, the installation fails with an error message indicating that WebView2 is missing.

-I have confirmed that WebView2 is indeed installed on my system. It shows as installed when I attempt to reinstall it.

I have already taken the following steps to troubleshoot the issue:

1. Verified the installation of WebView2 by checking the directory 
  2. Updated and repaired the WebView2 runtime through the Control Panel.
  3. Ensured that my Windows 11 system is fully updated and meets the system requirements for Power BI.

Despite these efforts, I am still unable to install Power BI successfully due to the WebView2 error. Could you please provide guidance on how to resolve this issue? Is there a specific troubleshooting step I may have overlooked?

Your assistance in resolving this matter would be greatly appreciated.

7 REPLIES 7
v-yifanw-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Blaisepascal ,

Based on the information you have provided, you have already taken several steps to resolve this issue, and I appreciate your efforts to date. Given the steps you have taken, you can follow these steps below that may help resolve this issue:

1. Sometimes, installing multiple versions of WebView2 may cause conflicts. Please check to see if you have multiple instances installed, and if possible, remove the older version. You can check this option in the Control Panel under Programs and Features.
  2. A fresh installation after a complete uninstallation may help.
    Uninstall WebView2 from the Control Panel. Download and reinstall from here. After reinstalling WebView2, try reinstalling Power BI Desktop. you can download the latest version from here.

Best Regards,

Ada Wang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hello,

thank you for your prompt response.

I can't uninstall webview2 from control panel, there is only an option to change not uninstall. and changing only repair the existing webview2

any other way to uninstall it?

Hi @Blaisepascal ,

You can try deleting it by looking for the installation path in your file manager, roughly where it is located below:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\EdgeWebView\Application

vyifanwmsft_0-1714096108368.png

Best Regards,

Ada Wang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hello,

it cannot be deleted, as there are some processes in background. I tried to close them but they are being open again automatically

Blaisepascal_0-1714125423770.png

any other way to uninstall it?

Hi @Blaisepascal ,

Instead of deleting the entire Application folder, you should look in Application where webview2 exists.

Best Regards,

Ada Wang

Hello,

I tried several times, deleting file by file but nothing can be delted. and also I tried to close all webview2 processes but they open again automatically. could you please help me as I am stuck on my urgent tasks?

Power bi 22.png

Hello @v-yifanw-msft any feedback regarding this issue?

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.