Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

dharsanj
Helper II
Helper II

Stacked Chart Label Formatting with and without decimal places using measure based on slicer choice

Hi there,

I have a stacked chart where I want to show the data labels with and without decimal places based on a slicer selection. If the slicer selection is $Amount, then I want to show the values with no decimals; if the slicer selection is %Rev, then I want to display one decimal place. I have tried using FORMAT, and CONVERT options on the measure. The measure I am using is below:

VAR TotalRev = CALCULATE ( SUM ( 'Waterfall'[FullyAllocatedValue (ABS)] ), ALL ( 'Waterfall' ), 'Waterfall'[PnL-Lvl 3 (Stacked Chart)] = "Revenue", VALUES ( 'Waterfall'[PMBU Lvl 3] ), //'Trended Quarter and Versions'[Version] = VALUES ( TblParamCurrQRF[CurrQRF] ), VALUES ( Waterfall[Quarter Version] ) ) VAR PctWaterfallAmt_ABS = DIVIDE ( [WaterfallAmt (ABS)], TotalRev ) VAR Choice = SELECTEDVALUE ( 'CommonSizeChoice'[Choice] ) RETURN SWITCH ( Choice, "$Amount", CONVERT ( CALCULATE ( [WaterfallAmt (ABS)], 'Waterfall'[PnL-Lvl 3] <> "Revenue", 'Waterfall'[PnL-Lvl 3] <> "Direct Margin", 'Waterfall'[PnL-Lvl 3] <> "Gross Margin" ), INTEGER ), "%Rev", CONVERT ( CALCULATE ( PctWaterfallAmt_ABS * 100, 'Waterfall'[PnL-Lvl 3] <> "Revenue", 'Waterfall'[PnL-Lvl 3] <> "Direct Margin", 'Waterfall'[PnL-Lvl 3] <> "Gross Margin" ), DOUBLE ), "Invalid Option" )

However, I am unable to get the desired result. See snapshots below of what I am trying to accomplish. Anyone has any ideas of how to fix this? 

Thanks

Slicer viewSlicer viewIf slicer is $Amount, then amounts should show with NO decimalsIf slicer is $Amount, then amounts should show with NO decimalsIf slicer is %Rev, then amounts should show with ONE decimalIf slicer is %Rev, then amounts should show with ONE decimal 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
dharsanj
Helper II
Helper II

I am happy to announce that this blog post from Matt Allignton shows a way how to do this via the use of Calculated Groups. The blog post is here:

https://exceleratorbi.com.au/dynamic-formatting-of-switch-measures/

After I followed his steps, I was able to accomplish what I wanted to achieve. Thanks Matt!

See snapshots below:

$Amount - No decimals here$Amount - No decimals here

%Amount - one decimal place here%Amount - one decimal place here

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
dharsanj
Helper II
Helper II

I am happy to announce that this blog post from Matt Allignton shows a way how to do this via the use of Calculated Groups. The blog post is here:

https://exceleratorbi.com.au/dynamic-formatting-of-switch-measures/

After I followed his steps, I was able to accomplish what I wanted to achieve. Thanks Matt!

See snapshots below:

$Amount - No decimals here$Amount - No decimals here

%Amount - one decimal place here%Amount - one decimal place here

dharsanj
Helper II
Helper II

Thanks. So the only workaround would be set the two views as bookmarked views and set the formats independently?

Hi @dharsanj 

You could break it into three measures to make it work. You could format [Amount] measure and [Percentage] measure separately via Measure tools > Formatting. Then put these two measures into [Display] measure and use [Display] measure in the column chart. This will get your expected result and no need to use bookmarks.

Amount =
CALCULATE (
    [WaterfallAmt (ABS)],
    'Waterfall'[PnL-Lvl 3] <> "Revenue",
    'Waterfall'[PnL-Lvl 3] <> "Direct Margin",
    'Waterfall'[PnL-Lvl 3] <> "Gross Margin"
)
Percentage =
CALCULATE (
    PctWaterfallAmt_ABS * 100,
    'Waterfall'[PnL-Lvl 3] <> "Revenue",
    'Waterfall'[PnL-Lvl 3] <> "Direct Margin",
    'Waterfall'[PnL-Lvl 3] <> "Gross Margin"
)
Display =
VAR Choice = SELECTEDVALUE ( 'CommonSizeChoice'[Choice] )
RETURN
    SWITCH ( Choice, "$Amount", [Amount], "%Rev", [Percentage], [Amount] )

120305.jpg

Here is a great guide on how to switch different measures in the same chart:

https://radacad.com/change-the-column-or-measure-value-in-a-power-bi-visual-by-selection-of-the-slic...

Kindly let me know if this helps.

Community Support Team _ Jing Zhang
If this post helps, please consider Accept it as the solution to help other members find it.

Hi there,

Thank you for your suggestion. Unfortunately, it didn't work. I setup the 3 measures [DebugAmount] - comma separated and no decimal places, [DebugPercentage] - one decimal place, and then the [SwitchedDebug] which uses the switch to pull either measure into the chart display. The problem is that [SwitchedDebug] format is set to a specific value and that is what is displayed in the chart labels. So I either get whole numbers if I toggle beween Amount or Percentage if I set the format for [SwitchedDebug] to 0 decimal places,  or a decimal number with 1 decimal in the label values if set the [SwitchedDebug] Format to 1 decimal. I played with all different options for [SwitchedDebug] formatting, even keeping it as Whole Number with 0 decimal places as you have highlighed in box #2. What I want is have the labels showing no decimal places if the user chooses the $Amount option or have labels with one decimal place if the user chooses the Percent option.

As @amitchandak mentioned earlier, the final data format is governed by the setting applied for [SwitchedDebug] in measure tools, so it appears that there is no getting around this issue.

Not sure if I am missing something. If I am, would you mind sharing a simple demo PBI file that illustrates your idea? Many thanks for that. 

DollarAmount.png

PercentAmount.png

SwitchedAmount.png

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@dharsanj , actually your final data format is governed by measure tools. so even if return INT, as the Measure property shows one decimal place will keep on showing that. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.