Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

JNelson
Helper II
Helper II

Sort stacked bar chart by Y axis (date ascending)

Hello,

I have a stacked bar chart with dates (linked to a Calendar Table) as the Y Axis. I cannot get it to sort by date ascending. I want it to start at the current date then show the next 7 days. I don't have the option to Sort By as per other visuals. It's very frustrating and won't be user friendly for them to have to read from bottom up. I also don't want to mess my calendar table up as it's working perfectly for the rest of the file. 

JNelson_0-1713226109971.png

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Ritaf1983
Super User
Super User

Hi @JNelson 
You can download Akvelon bar chart from the marketplace place it has a desired sort option :

Ritaf1983_0-1713232815775.png

Ritaf1983_1-1713232854616.png

From an effective data visualization standpoint, this chart should be a column graph rather than a bar graph.

This is because most of our brains are accustomed to perceiving the timeline as a horizontal axis.

Bar graphs are typically used for ranking, where there is a list of entities without a logical connection that are ranked by size.

Column graphs, on the other hand, are used to represent a series of trends over time or another logical axis.

I recommend changing the orientation of the graph to better represent the data.

Anyway the pbix with a sorted graph that you asked is attached

If this post helps, then please consider Accepting it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Ritaf1983
Super User
Super User

Hi @JNelson 
You can download Akvelon bar chart from the marketplace place it has a desired sort option :

Ritaf1983_0-1713232815775.png

Ritaf1983_1-1713232854616.png

From an effective data visualization standpoint, this chart should be a column graph rather than a bar graph.

This is because most of our brains are accustomed to perceiving the timeline as a horizontal axis.

Bar graphs are typically used for ranking, where there is a list of entities without a logical connection that are ranked by size.

Column graphs, on the other hand, are used to represent a series of trends over time or another logical axis.

I recommend changing the orientation of the graph to better represent the data.

Anyway the pbix with a sorted graph that you asked is attached

If this post helps, then please consider Accepting it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

Thank you, I will try this.

I've been requested to show it in a bar chart to notify the operations which days have too much allocated to them.

Thanks for your help

Yep, users often know what they want, but that doesn't necessarily mean they also know what they need.

In such cases, I usually present both options and ask an informative question in 95% of cases.

From this, the user can usually grasp which graph format is easier for them to read.

Unfortunately, we are all too accustomed to inaccurate and ineffective visualizations.

Good luck in any case!

v-tianyich-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @JNelson ,

There are try to sort by column well, specifically you can follow the following steps: click the date field, in the column tool to find sort by column, and then select your value.

Hope it helps!

Best regards,
Community Support Team_ Scott Chang

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks for your response but it doesn't really help. It's already sorting by date. Other visuals are sorting the same date field perfectly, it's just the stacked bar that's not working.

JNelson_0-1713233104290.png

JNelson_1-1713233204140.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.