Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

JamieHofer
Frequent Visitor

Slicer sync across multiple tables and pages

I have a report that displays data from six different tables and each table stands alone, its only reflected in a single report for ease of access.. If i wanted to look at data for a specific client i access a page in the report where i have six different slicers set up and the user picks the client from each of the 6 slicers, its slow but it works. I want to create a single slicer that i can point to a client list table that will then automatically sync all 6 slicers to that same client name. The client name field is the only common field in each of the 6 tables.

My first thought was to choose the advanced options and enter a group name, and then give that group name to all 7 slicers.  I tried that but it does not work and here is why.

Slicer 0 points to a client name list table and i have applied the group name "Sync"

Slicer 1 points to data table 1 and visuals on page 1 of the report

Slicer 2 points to data table 2 and visuals on page 2 of the report

Slicer 3 points to data table 3 and visuals on page 3 of the report

Slicer 4 points to data table 4 and visuals on page 4 of the report

Slicer 5 points to data table 5 and visuals on page 5 of the report

Slicer 6 points to data table 6 and visuals on page 6 of the report

My issue is if i apply the group name "Sync" to Slicer 1 and confirm slicer sync to page 1, and then populate slicer 0, everything works just fine.

But when i go to Slicer 2 and apply the group name "Sync" and confirm slicer sync to page 2, i go back and check Slicer 1 and its been now changed to page 2, then if i apply the group name "Sync" to slicer 3 and confirm slicer sync to page 3, slicer 1 and 2 have now been changed to sync only to page 3. etc etc

Slicer 0 exists on its own page and is apart from slicers 1-6.  i have read some of the other posts about slicers but i really didnt see one with this same issue.  I am open to any ideas. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
belvoir99
Resolver III
Resolver III

Create a separate Client table with a single column - ClientName - and populate it with the unique client names. You can use Power Query to dynamically create this, or if the data is static, then just manually create it.

Load it into the Model and then create a relationship (one to many) between this Client table and the fact tables that you have already.

The Client table is now a shared dimension table. Slicing (ie filtering) on this column will automatically filter the fact tables due to the one to many relationship.

In each slicer use the ClientName column from the Client table, and ensure that it syncs to the other slicers.

You only need the Sync Group Names if a sub-set of the slicers are to synch separate to other ones. 

Hope that helps

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
JamieHofer
Frequent Visitor

I thought that i had originally did that. Im dropping a screen shot below, i wonder if i have the cardinality or the relationship backwards.Power Bi Slicer Sync Issue.jpg

relationships are fine as are cardinality. The values in the 'Client List' table are unique as you have one to many relationships established with your fact tables.

Can you share a sample pbix?

ou Let me work to create a dummy version and strip the data and put some test data in its place. A client name will only exist in the client list table once. But they will exist in the individual data tables many times (hundreds if not thousands). And im using the exact same spelling and format for the client name. I can sync the main slicer to the page with all the other slicers, i just cant sync the main slicer to the individual slicers. Thats why i thought the group name was the way to go. 

belvoir99
Resolver III
Resolver III

Create a separate Client table with a single column - ClientName - and populate it with the unique client names. You can use Power Query to dynamically create this, or if the data is static, then just manually create it.

Load it into the Model and then create a relationship (one to many) between this Client table and the fact tables that you have already.

The Client table is now a shared dimension table. Slicing (ie filtering) on this column will automatically filter the fact tables due to the one to many relationship.

In each slicer use the ClientName column from the Client table, and ensure that it syncs to the other slicers.

You only need the Sync Group Names if a sub-set of the slicers are to synch separate to other ones. 

Hope that helps

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.