Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

AllianceDA
Advocate I
Advocate I

Sign In for Azure Maps Visual

Hello, 

I'm having some difficulty with the Azure Maps visual. It seems to work fine in the online version, but on PowerBI desktop I get this message:

AllianceDA_0-1700168531069.png

Sometimes toggling to the regular Map visual and toggling back fixes it, but not always. I am logged into PowerBI and can see my user name at the top. I also checked that I have the latest version of PowerBI and did not see another post regarding this issue in the forum. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

10 REPLIES 10
hminney1

I'm so relieved that it isn't just me. Even more annoying when every time I open a project, it tells me that I'm going to have to upgrade to Azure maps soon, then the Azure maps only work intermittently.

Must be a bug, because the "View as Table" shows the correct data, and sometimes the map works but most of the time it doesn't.

You may have an older Map somewhere in your PBIX file. It's the one immediately to the right of Treemap icon. Just change them to Azure Maps. (this is just a hunch)

The other possible issue is with external access to Tom Tom, see attached image. Again, just spit-balling here, but when I see timeouts, there are usually more than one that can go bad (as in Gateways)

Azure Map advisory.png

rbaron
Regular Visitor

I have this problem too.  Usually pops up within 30 minutes or less of signing into Power BI Desktop.  Always seems to work on published web version, but I continually have to close and re-open PBI Desktop if I want to see the map.  SO ANNOYING!!!!   Leave it to Microsoft to half-ass it. 

Tom-Garvin-2023
Advocate I
Advocate I

Confirmed bug, it hits me at random intervals during prolonged Desktop development work. Toggle to legacy Maps or ArcGIS and then back to Azure Maps does not clear the authentication issue. But Maps and ArcGIS visualizations work as before, proving the data is correct and accessible. OTOH, Azure Maps sure are prettier and more effective when working with cluster-able datapoints.

DaKra

On February 14th the issue remains, it was not fixed yet.
I get the message even immediately after fresh Microsoft account login when launching the Power BI Desktop application after I open the PBIX file using Azure Maps visual on first page. It is really annoying, after the login I have to open another page in the PBIX file and then return back to the page where I use Azure Maps visual.

After my not very positive experience with Microsoft Support for Power BI (two districs in Slovakia being by mistake drawn in Latvia and Canada using Azure Maps visual) I do not want to open another ticket for this annoying issue...

LewisElliott
Frequent Visitor

I am having this problem too. I hope they fix it soon.

SDittmannFleet
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

I am having the exact same issue, and Support is giving me the run-around. The visual seems to come and go in Desktop; sometimes it's fine, sometimes it isn't, but on the Service it always looks OK. IMHO this is a bug and they need to fix it. I suggest you also open a formal ticket, b/c they claim I'm the only one they've ever heard of.

AllianceDA
Advocate I
Advocate I

@amitchandak I had this checked by the admin, but it was already enabled.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@AllianceDA , Make sure Map is enabled at Tenant Level

amitchandak_0-1700190815853.png

Important to check Tenant settings, but they do not seem to affect the authentication issue. Of course, bad Tenent settings would keep you from getting even that far!

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.