Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

mthomas1973
Helper I
Helper I

Sharepoint Version Control

Hello.

I would like to implement a simple version control process for our Power BI developers. It looks like SharePoint is an option and we could use the check in / check out functionality. 

I am struggling a little:

I have created a repository and can enable check in / check out. However, when I go to open the .pbix it doesn't know how to open it from the web interface and wants me to download the file. 

Alternatively, if I sync the SharePoint repository I can see the file in my File Explorer. It knows to use Power BI to open the file, but I can't see how to check out and in.

Am I missing something obvious and is there a better way to do this? 

Any help is appreciated. 

3 REPLIES 3
ahgambi

Seems to be 2 unrelated steps.  Download it, and then click the dots for more/checkout.  make the changes, upload and replace, and 3 dots  for more/check-in which allows you to add comments and whether minor or major version.

Depending on the library version settings, you can set it so the upload/replace isn't allowed unless the file is already checked out.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@mthomas1973 , As far as I know, you have downloaded the file(pbix). We use to upload it on onedrive with overwrite(which use to create version) 

Thank you @amitchandak . One of the benefits with the check in / check out sharepoint functionality is a bit of consistency around version numbering and holding the file during check out. I guess if I download, and then upload I get the version history functionality but none of the other stuff? 

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.