Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Share filters between different PBIX

Context:
The project that I am developing consists in that I have the sales data of various products for several years, but being so large the amount of data was divided and now there is a different report for each year (one PBIX for each year).

Need:
What I need to do is find a way that, if the user opens the file of a year, for example 2019, and within this report they filter for a specific product to see the details and want to see the information of that same product for another year, let's say 2020, I click on a button that opens the other file corresponding to the year 2020 (I already did this with a hyperlink) but when opening the report for 2020 it is already filtered by the same product that I filter in the last report.

6 REPLIES 6
Amy12345
Regular Visitor

Did you got any solutions?

v-henryk-mstf
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Because Power BI can handle very large data sets, my suggestion is to create a pbix file and import new data into the same file every year. Then create the measure, calculated column, visual, etc., add the year field to the slicer, and display the data information of different periods by filtering different years. This is currently the most desirable approach.

test as below:

v-henryk-mstf_0-1623120139555.pngv-henryk-mstf_1-1623120154183.png

Best Regards,
Henry

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, thanks for your response

What you propose could help me, but what happens is that I have the information in several PBIX files, there is a PBIX file for each year, I don't know how I could combine several files into one, or how to use several datasets in a single PBIX file.

I'd appreciate if you could tell me how to do it.

Hi @Anonymous ,

If you meet the following file types and data model formats, you can refer to the blog link I provided to summarize all the data into a pbix file. Power Query Combine Files from Folder - Xelplus - Leila Gharani

v-henryk-mstf_0-1623203303703.png

v-henryk-mstf_1-1623203318199.png

If the problem is still not resolved, please provide detailed information such as what are the types of data sources and their connection mode? Is the data source corresponding to each pbix file only different in the specific data, and is their data model structure the same and so on? Looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
Henry

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-henryk-mstf thanks for your answers

I will tell you more about the project to be carried out, the solution you gave me would not serve me since they are not Excel files. The source of the information is a database that I access through Azure Blob Storage, the data structure would be the same for each PBIX file and only the specific data would change. I would connect through Azure Blob Storage and there I would find a PBIX file for each year, my need is to be able to read the information for each year within a single report and for example when viewing a year and apply a filter, if I change to another year , show me the information referring to that year with the same filter that I use.

In this graphic I explain a little more what I need:

Captura.PNG

AlexisOlson
Super User
Super User

I doubt there's a clean way to do this if the hyperlink approach isn't sufficient.

Power BI can handle really big datasets, so I'd guess there are ways to get all of the data accessible in one PBIX instead of splintering into multiple reports for multiple years. That's generally not a good approach to handling lots of data.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.