Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

WRA_LT
Frequent Visitor

Row appears in one direction but not the other in cross-filtering between table and map

Hello,

I'm having an issue with bidirectional cross-filtering not working between a table and map visual in a desktop report I'm developing. The filtering will always work in one direction (when I click on a row in the table), but only sometimes in the other direction (when I click on a point on a map). I need help with finding a solution to this since it's vital that this report be able to cross filter from both the row and point on the map.

Background

This report pulls the data being used into two tables via DirectQuery from an on-premises PostgreSQL database, each called "Speed Heat Map (1 Hour Granularity)" (this populates the table at the top of the report) and "TMC Map" (this populates the map at the bottom of the report). These tables have a many-to-one relationship with cross filter direction set to "both" as shown here:

Table_Map_Relationship.JPG

The following screen shot is what the table and map look like unfiltered, along with a hover-over box showing the matching point for the given row - note the highlighted matching values for TMC for the row and point to show they're referencing the same data (TMC = "104+09111"):

Table_Map_Hover_Over.JPG

Table to Map Filtering Example (Works correctly)

When I click "104+09111" on a row in the table, the cross filtering works correctly by zooming in to the point on the map while putting a transparency on the other points and rows:

Table_Map_Click_on_Table.JPG

Map to Table Filtering Example (Doesn't work correctly)

When I click on the same point on the map, it makes the other points transparent, but all the rows in the table disappear:

Table_Map_Click_on_Map.JPG

Map to Table Filtering Example (Works correctly)

I tried testing this with another point on the map (TMC = "104+09112"), and the other points become transparent and the row appears in the table as intended.

Table_Map_Click_on_Map_Other.JPG

Further testing

I tried clicking on more points and rows, and it appeared that the filtering worked as intended every time for each row of the table, while working most of the time for the points on the map. I wasn't able to find a pattern or obvious reason why only some of the points were not showing their corresponding row in the table.

1 REPLY 1
v-heq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @WRA_LT ,

According to your description, it works quickly when you use the rows in the table to filter the coordinates on the map, but doesn't work for clicking on the same locations to reverse filter the rows in the table. You could try using the CROSSFILTER function to specify the filter direction. Sometimes filtering problems can occur due to null values or inconsistencies in the data itself. Verify that the TMC values in both tables are consistent and that there are no nulls or formatting differences that could cause filtering to fail for certain points on the map.
CROSSFILTER function - DAX | Microsoft Learn

If the above does not solve your problem, which version of Power BI are you using?

Please try to update your Power BI Desktop to the latest version or rollback Desktop to the historical version and see if the issue still exists.

You can find the historical versions of Power BI Desktop here:

Previous monthly updates to Power BI Desktop and the Power BI service - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Best regards,
Albert He

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.