Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

push
Frequent Visitor

Right join in Power BI

Hi team,
I have 2 Tables 
Product Table : 

table 1 .png

Sales Table ( its on right side of right join )  : 
table2.png

Where  " Sales Table " is in Right side of Right join.
After applying Right Join between product and sales table ON product_id  the Result in SQL SERVER is : 
sqlserverrightjoin.png

Which is according to Right join in SQL SERVER is correct.
But after applying Right join between same Tables ( Product and Sales ) in " POWER BI "
the Result is different : 

push_0-1715686040649.png

The behaviour of Right Join in case of NULL in Power BI is Different as compare to SQL SERVER ?? 
Can anyone help me in this ...?

@MrPowerQuery @PowerQueryQstn @PowerBI @Microsoft 

2 REPLIES 2
v-heq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @push ,
Performing a Right Outer operation in Power Bi, for each row in the right table, Power BI tries to find a matching row in the left table (i.e., the left data set). This will keep all the rows and data in the right table and will not change the null values for their mismatches. In this example, since the number of rows in the two tables is different, the right table will automatically add a row to meet the number of rows in the left table. If there are no matching rows, null is returned. this logic is differentiated from the right join of sql.
Note that in Power Bi we use external joins, whereas in sql we change internally.
Merge queries overview - Power Query | Microsoft Learn

Best regards,
Albert He

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

ddpl
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

@push I think you shpuld remove raw from product table where product id is null before right merge.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.