Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

krichmond
Helper IV
Helper IV

Request For Guidance On Automating Daily Data Snapshots In Power BI With AWS Redshift

I am utilizing Power BI Desktop linked to an AWS Redshift database for analytics purposes. My objective is to perform day-to-day comparative analyses on a particular data dimension to monitor changes over time. The primary challenge I face is that this dimension only displays the most current data without historical tracking. I am keen to automate the process of historical data capture within Power BI, particularly using the "Transform Data" module.

Specifically, my requirement is to automatically create a snapshot of the "Live" data dimension each day and preserve this as the "Yesterday Version," which would continuously update to reflect the data from the day immediately preceding the current one. This approach would facilitate direct comparisons between the "Yesterday Version" and the "Live" version each day.

Can you advise if Power BI provides the capability to automate this snapshot process natively, or if it requires custom scripting within the "Transform Data" module? Furthermore, if this task necessitates a workaround involving both Power BI and AWS Redshift, could you provide a comprehensive guide on how to implement this solution effectively, including any necessary scripts and scheduling tactics?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
audreygerred
Super User
Super User

The only way I have seen people keep historical snapshots is to have that in their datawarehouse as a table.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
audreygerred
Super User
Super User

The only way I have seen people keep historical snapshots is to have that in their datawarehouse as a table.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.