Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Cookistador
Helper II
Helper II

Reproduce Tableau Web Data Connector into Power BI ?

Hello everyone, 

I'm working on a tableua migration and I'm facing an issue to connect the Web Data connector
The web data connector into tableau is a pretty impressive tool, when the user select the connector, they are allowed to select date, region,... and add some column they need to use in their report then the user has to click on go and a call api is sent to the server to retrieve the required information

Cookistador_0-1713864342365.png

If I try to past this url into power bi (web connector) it returns a static table on which I'm not allowed to play with this data...

Any idea of what I could do to achieve a similar feature into power BI ?

Many thanks in advance for your help

2 REPLIES 2
v-jingzhan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Cookistador 

Power BI currently doesn't have a similar feature to the Tableau Web Data Connector. In Power BI, we usually use Power Query Web connector to connect to websites or APIs. If we want to build some custom calls to APIs, we may use Web.Contents M function to write an M query manually. 

For data sources that don't have a connector in Power BI, you can consider building a custom connector for being used by other users in the future. But building a custom connector requires some developing skills and may be not very easy. With a custom connector, maybe you can achieve some similar functionality to the Tableau Web Data Connector. 

Connector extensibility in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Creating your first connector - Hello World - Power Query | Microsoft Learn

Hope this would be helpful. 

Best Regards,
Jing
If this post helps, please Accept it as Solution to help other members find it. Appreciate your Kudos!

Thank you for your answer, it was my intital conclusion....
If I want to produce something like that, I could build an app (like in Power Apps), this apps could help me to generate the API request, then I would have to catch the answer of this request and transform it in Power Query?

But is there a way to schedule the refresh of an API datasource using token authentifcation ?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.