Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Vasek00005
Frequent Visitor

Relations got lost in excel

Hi,

I have a data model in Power BI, three tables are related to each other so you can use one table as a slicer on another table. It works fine in Power BI Desktop and Service. But when I export data to analyze it in excel then the relations got lost and you cannot use one table as a slicer on another. It just behave like independant tables without any relations.

Strictly speaking, it works on a simple model that I made to test the scenario. But when we implemented this scenario in project in production it stopped working (mean the relations in excel). I tried to simplify the production project to only three tables and reduce all unnecessary data but without result.

I cannot find out what may cause this loosing of relations when exporting data from power bi to excel in this very project.

Any idea, please?

Vašek

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Vasek00005
Frequent Visitor

Problem solved 🙂 Filtering through slicer in other table works in Excel only if the value field is not empty. We tested the production solution on pivot table with rows only without any values and that didn´t work. However, as soon as we put ANY field into values, it immediatelly worked. Strange, but true.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Vasek00005
Frequent Visitor

Problem solved 🙂 Filtering through slicer in other table works in Excel only if the value field is not empty. We tested the production solution on pivot table with rows only without any values and that didn´t work. However, as soon as we put ANY field into values, it immediatelly worked. Strange, but true.

Vasek00005
Frequent Visitor

Hi Dino Tao,

thanks for your reply.

There are some people in our company (mainy in management) who prefer to work with excel instead of power bi. So we prepare data model in power bi, automatize its calculation on regular basis and they just update their excel files if they need to work with data. The data are connected to excel using Load Data -> From Power Platform. I think the option from Power BI Service Export -> Analyze in Excel works simillary and I used it as an example.

Regarding my issue - we have working solutions. I know it works. But in this one particular project it refuses to work and I cannot find why.

v-junyant-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Vasek00005 ,

Excel itself does not support the relationship between the table, much less through the relationship to achieve the slicer operation. These can only be realized in Power BI.
The essence of Analyze in Excel and Export to excel is to export data to excel, and the operations it can perform can only be supported in excel.
May I ask what is the purpose of your export to excel? Maybe I can look for workaround for you.

Best Regards,
Dino Tao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.