Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

gikido

Refresh data

Hello everyone,

I created visuals in Power Bi from an Excel file placed in SharePoint which we extract from an application, this file contains data for the month. At the end of the month we do an extraction with the new data from the previous month. I want to know how to update the data automatically in power bi when adding the file again to sharepoint list.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
johnbasha33
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

@gikido 

To automatically update the data in Power BI when adding the file again to a SharePoint list, you can use Power BI's built-in feature called "Scheduled Refresh." Here's how you can set it up:

1. **Configure Data Source Settings**:
- In Power BI Desktop, click on "Transform Data" to open the Power Query Editor.
- Go to "Home" > "Data Source Settings."
- Select your SharePoint data source and click on "Change Source."
- Update the SharePoint URL to point to the new file location (if the file location changes each month).
- Click "OK" to save the changes.

2. **Set Up Scheduled Refresh**:
- Save and publish your Power BI report to the Power BI Service (Power BI Online).
- In the Power BI Service, navigate to your dataset.
- Click on "Settings" (gear icon) for the dataset.
- Under the "Scheduled Refresh" section, enable the scheduled refresh option.
- Set the frequency and time for the refresh (e.g., daily, weekly).
- Click "Apply" to save the settings.

3. **Ensure Data Source Authentication**:
- Make sure that the data source (SharePoint) is configured with appropriate authentication credentials.
- If necessary, configure OAuth or other authentication methods to ensure that Power BI can access the SharePoint data source.

4. **Monitor Refresh Status**:
- After setting up the scheduled refresh, monitor the refresh status to ensure that it runs successfully.
- If there are any errors during the refresh, troubleshoot them by checking the error messages and reviewing data source settings.

By setting up scheduled refresh in Power BI, the data from the SharePoint file will be automatically updated based on the frequency you've defined. This ensures that your reports and visuals reflect the most recent data without manual intervention.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos !!

View solution in original post

Uzi2019
Super User
Super User

Hi @gikido 

check the below video for better understanding

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YI6ey8EvIAI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaPOoBUqeYs

I hope above video may resolves your issues!

Don't forget to give thumbs up and accept this as a solution if it helped you!!!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Uzi2019
Super User
Super User

Hi @gikido 

check the below video for better understanding

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YI6ey8EvIAI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaPOoBUqeYs

I hope above video may resolves your issues!

Don't forget to give thumbs up and accept this as a solution if it helped you!!!
johnbasha33
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

@gikido 

To automatically update the data in Power BI when adding the file again to a SharePoint list, you can use Power BI's built-in feature called "Scheduled Refresh." Here's how you can set it up:

1. **Configure Data Source Settings**:
- In Power BI Desktop, click on "Transform Data" to open the Power Query Editor.
- Go to "Home" > "Data Source Settings."
- Select your SharePoint data source and click on "Change Source."
- Update the SharePoint URL to point to the new file location (if the file location changes each month).
- Click "OK" to save the changes.

2. **Set Up Scheduled Refresh**:
- Save and publish your Power BI report to the Power BI Service (Power BI Online).
- In the Power BI Service, navigate to your dataset.
- Click on "Settings" (gear icon) for the dataset.
- Under the "Scheduled Refresh" section, enable the scheduled refresh option.
- Set the frequency and time for the refresh (e.g., daily, weekly).
- Click "Apply" to save the settings.

3. **Ensure Data Source Authentication**:
- Make sure that the data source (SharePoint) is configured with appropriate authentication credentials.
- If necessary, configure OAuth or other authentication methods to ensure that Power BI can access the SharePoint data source.

4. **Monitor Refresh Status**:
- After setting up the scheduled refresh, monitor the refresh status to ensure that it runs successfully.
- If there are any errors during the refresh, troubleshoot them by checking the error messages and reviewing data source settings.

By setting up scheduled refresh in Power BI, the data from the SharePoint file will be automatically updated based on the frequency you've defined. This ensures that your reports and visuals reflect the most recent data without manual intervention.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos !!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

Power BI Carousel June 2024

Power BI Monthly Update - June 2024

Check out the June 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.