Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

ppvinsights
Helper III
Helper III

Problem with Template any 2023-Version (missing properties) - anyone has a workaround?

Hi Cimmunity,

there was a bug last year with the templates in Power BI:

https://community.fabric.microsoft.com/t5/Issues/Power-BI-Template-not-saving-all-properties/idi-p/3...

Unfortunately one of my customers ran into exactly this problem - he always saved old versions as template. Now we need to go back to a version from 2023 (not sure which month and which Desktop-version he used). But we are having trouble to initialize the template, because of missing measures, missing calculated columns and so on.

I tried to investigate the pbix-File but could not find any difference between a current template and the 2023-template. So it seems, that the error is not in the "DataModelSchema" (part of the pbix-file) but somewhere else.

Anyone who had the same problem and has a fix for that?

Thanks

Holger

5 REPLIES 5
ppvinsights
Helper III
Helper III

No one having that problem?

v-xuxinyi-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ppvinsights 

As the link you provided says, the problem you are experiencing is with the June 2023 version, and my suggestion is that you roll back to the July 2023 version to try it out.

You can get the July 2023 version of desktop at the following link.
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/fundamentals/desktop-latest-update-archive?tabs=powerbi-d...

You can see the version of Desktop by going to File -> About.

vxuxinyimsft_0-1712645424000.png

Best Regards,
Yulia Xu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you - but I cannot find a download link to the July 2023 version in your link... 

Hi @ppvinsights 

I'm sorry, I forgot to mention that this link only allows to download the most recent version of the desktop, after checking, there is a download link for the September 2023 version, in your case you just need to try to download the June 2023 version onwards.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/fundamentals/desktop-latest-update-archive?tabs=powerbi-d... 

Best Regards,
Yulia Xu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Ok, found the september version. Tried to open the template: does not work.

But to be honest: Why should that work...? If there was a bug creating template files with power bi desktop, the newest version of Power BI desktop is not able to open this template - why should it work with the september 2023 version...?

Just to be sure we are on the same track:

There are problems restoring measure-tables (tables without columns) and calculated columns. The Schema-File in the pbix-file does not seem to have any problems - because compared to a current template file the structure seems to be the same. So there has to be another problem in any other part of the pbix-file. Is there any workaroung to restore template files created with those buggy-versions? And: Am I the only one with that problem...?

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.