Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

jader3rd
Employee
Employee

PowerBI won't open tsv files anymore

I output tab seperated files with a .tsv extension from Azure Data Lake Storage. I used to be able to open them from Power BI Desktop. But now Desktop has locked down it's text file dialog to only allow txt, csv, prn. This is annoying, because I don't want to take the extra step of modifying the file extension just for Power BI.

5 REPLIES 5
vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

thats odd because i was able to change it all to all files

vanessafvg_0-1707511318914.png

see if you can do it this way by copying and pasting into a blank query in power  query 

change it to use your file name

let
Source = Csv.Document(File.Contents("filename"),[Delimiter="#(tab)", Encoding=1252])
in
Source

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

Here's my version Version: 2.126.553.0 64-bit (February 2024).

i am little confused the last published version of power bi thats available is december.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/fundamentals/desktop-latest-update?tabs=powerbi-desktop

do you have access to a later version?

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

when you say it used to allow that,what method were you using before?

Get Data, Select Text/Csv, this would open an File Explorer dialog which defaulted to *.txt, *.csv, *.prn, but there was an option to change that All Files. It looks like Power BI took away the All Files option.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.