Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

JR_Lee
Frequent Visitor

Power Query transformation help

I'm struggling to transform the following data:

JR_Lee_0-1643363671825.png

so it looks something like the below for each salesperson and each month:

JR_Lee_1-1643363711802.png

this is where i've got to but i cant seem to isolate the month names:

JR_Lee_2-1643363796067.png

Attached xlsx link is here

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ImkeF
Super User
Super User

Hi @JR_Lee ,
1) add a column with the following syntax: "if [Column2] = "Coke[PG 29]" then [Column1] else null
2) Check that new column and fill down values. This will returne a column with the repective months in rows.

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
ImkeF
Super User
Super User

Hi @JR_Lee ,

you must do that before the unpivoting.
Either before or after the Promoted Headers step:

ImkeF_1-1643375422823.png

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

JR_Lee
Frequent Visitor

That works, very cool! Thank you @ImkeF

ImkeF
Super User
Super User

Hi @JR_Lee ,
1) add a column with the following syntax: "if [Column2] = "Coke[PG 29]" then [Column1] else null
2) Check that new column and fill down values. This will returne a column with the repective months in rows.

JR_Lee
Frequent Visitor

Hi @ImkeF 

Not sure if I have misundestood but when I add the column I get the following (which inclueds the salesperson name)

JR_Lee_0-1643370318989.png

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@JR_Lee , Unpivot all product columns in power bi

https://radacad.com/pivot-and-unpivot-with-power-bi

@amitchandakafter unpivoting all product columns how can i deal with the following:

JR_Lee_0-1643364449347.png

@JR_Lee , I think this requires a little bit of clean-up outside power bi, having a month on a column.

But check with M expert.

@ImkeF , any suggestion for this

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.