Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

DW868990
Helper IV
Helper IV

Power Query - Replace Values based on parameter

Hi,

I have a power query question I am looking for some help with - 

I have a fact table with a products column with a list of all products, products are repeated multiple times. 

I have a parameter, when the parameter is set to Yes.....i need the above product column in the fact table, i need values to be replaced by a dimension table column which is just a list like Product 1, Product 2, Product 3 etc.

Not sure if this could be done by a function which you refer to in the m, so when paramater is Yes, refer to the function and replace the values.

Is this, or something similiar possible in power query?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
jpessoa8
Super User
Super User

Hello @DW868990 ,

Yes, it's possible to implement somewhat of an anonymization in PowerQuery.

In the PowerQuery M code, you can decide what is the step that is going to be returned base on some condition.

For instance,

let
    Source = ...,
    Step1 = ...,
    Step2 = ...
in
    if parameter = "Yes" then Step2 else Step1

So, what you could do is, on the query of your factual create all the steps until a full anonymization is achieved and then, on the "in" clause, consider a logic like the above to decide which steps to return.

My suggestion for the anonymization would be:

• A dimensionTable with a column for all products and another column with "Product 1", "Product 2", etc.
  • Merge this table with your factual and replace the current Product column with the column from the dimension
  • On the "in" clause, return either the step before the merge or the step after the replacement.

Hope this answer solves your problem!
If you need any additional help please @ me in your reply.
If my reply provided you with a solution, please consider marking it as a solution ✔️ or giving it a kudo 👍
Thanks!

You can also check out my LinkedIn!

Best regards,
Jorge Pessoa

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
jpessoa8
Super User
Super User

Hello @DW868990 ,

Yes, it's possible to implement somewhat of an anonymization in PowerQuery.

In the PowerQuery M code, you can decide what is the step that is going to be returned base on some condition.

For instance,

let
    Source = ...,
    Step1 = ...,
    Step2 = ...
in
    if parameter = "Yes" then Step2 else Step1

So, what you could do is, on the query of your factual create all the steps until a full anonymization is achieved and then, on the "in" clause, consider a logic like the above to decide which steps to return.

My suggestion for the anonymization would be:

• A dimensionTable with a column for all products and another column with "Product 1", "Product 2", etc.
  • Merge this table with your factual and replace the current Product column with the column from the dimension
  • On the "in" clause, return either the step before the merge or the step after the replacement.

Hope this answer solves your problem!
If you need any additional help please @ me in your reply.
If my reply provided you with a solution, please consider marking it as a solution ✔️ or giving it a kudo 👍
Thanks!

You can also check out my LinkedIn!

Best regards,
Jorge Pessoa

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.