Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

powerperformer

Power BI dashboard Publishing

Dear Power BI community,

These are my questions, 

1) I have created dashboards and trying to see how I can send it to users ( they include CEO, CFO, Accounts, Branch managers, Credit managers etc.) In our premises we have wifi router .. Shared it  wih Accounts first. Disabled RLS as well. The link was shared over the official email of accounts head. 

It asked for a permission and I granted it too. Still it is showing RLS security message. Is it to do with Wifi network. Do i have to set something there? 

2) Power premium is expensive so as it is user based , is there any way out ? I was thinking of sending the email reports at a specific interval of time and send the pdf report to all users across departments

3) In case head office wants to use these dashboards and there are about 6 main users consuming this data then is there any cheaper way out ?

4) Want to under power automate clearly.. Read various posts yet I have not got a clear idea. 

5) Do we have DAX editors manual readily available? I want to see what all commands I can utilize for managing roles.

Thank you in advance ...

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
marcelsmaglhaes
Super User
Super User

Hi @powerperformer 

1) The issue with the RLS (Row-Level Security) message in your Power BI dashboard may not be related to your WiFi network. RLS is a feature in Power BI that restricts data access based on user roles and filters. If you've disabled RLS and still see the message, it might be due to some residual settings or cached permissions. Try the following steps:
- Double-check that RLS is indeed disabled in your dashboard.
- Clear browser cache and cookies.
- Revoke and then re-grant permissions to the users, ensuring that RLS is off.
- Make sure the accounts you're sharing with have proper access to the data sources used in the dashboard.

2) One cost-effective approach could be to use Power BI Pro licenses for report authors and then schedule the reports to be automatically emailed as PDFs to your users at specific intervals. 

3) You can explore Power BI PRO, but if youre service is PPU, then, you will need 6 PPU licenses.

4) Power Automate is a powerful automation tool that integrates with various Microsoft services and other third-party applications. To understand it better, you can start with Microsoft's official Power Automate documentation and tutorials. They offer step-by-step guides and examples to help you grasp the concepts and capabilities of Power Automate.

5) To learn more about DAX (Data Analysis Expressions) and managing roles in Power BI, you can refer to the official documentation provided by Microsoft. Microsoft's website offers comprehensive resources, including DAX functions and syntax, as well as guidance on creating and managing roles in Power BI.

Remember that the specific details and options for your organization may vary, so it's always a good idea to consider the possibility that hiring a consultant for personalized guidance and recommendations for your organization.

Regards,
Marcel

Regards,
Marcel Magalhães
Microsoft Power BI Official Partner
MCT | Certified PL-300 Power BI

If I've helped, don't forget to mark my post as a solution!
Imagem de fundo

View solution in original post

Micheljns

Certainly, here are concise responses to your questions: The RLS (Row-Level Security) issue is not related to your Wi-Fi network. Double-check your dataset and report settings to ensure RLS is properly turned off. To save on costs, consider scheduling and sending reports via email to users instead of using Power BI Premium. If you have a limited number of users at the head office, explore Power BI Embedded as a more cost-effective sharing option. For a clear understanding of Power Automate, consider taking online courses or exploring tutorials. To learn DAX functions and commands for managing roles, refer to the official Power BI documentation and online resources. Feel free to provide more details or ask specific questions if needed. Good luck with your Power BI endeavors!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Deepkumar

I WANT TO SHARE THE DASHBOARDS WITH TEAM MEMBERS WHO ARE NOT USING POWER BI, HOW TO SHARE THE DASHBOARDS

Hi Deep, 

Publish them and then copy the link and share it with your team members. The link can open in Microsfot fabric. Now in the fabric app, goto to data set security and add emails of people whom you have to give rights to view. You can create roles as well and then link them with the emails. Role creation has to happen in Power BI desktop.  let me know if you have any questions. I have just implemented this in my code.

powerperformer

Thanks Marcel... your inputs were very imortant. I have set Roles in Desktop. But somehow I have lost the idea of setting the email VS role in Power BI service.. I had set the Roles in my earlier workspace in fabric. Can you help ? 

Hey @powerperformer ,

You can read this link: Row-level security (RLS) with Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Learn.

In this link there is the information you need. Please let me know if you need help.

Regards,
Marcel Magalhães

Imagem de fundo

Micheljns

Certainly, here are concise responses to your questions: The RLS (Row-Level Security) issue is not related to your Wi-Fi network. Double-check your dataset and report settings to ensure RLS is properly turned off. To save on costs, consider scheduling and sending reports via email to users instead of using Power BI Premium. If you have a limited number of users at the head office, explore Power BI Embedded as a more cost-effective sharing option. For a clear understanding of Power Automate, consider taking online courses or exploring tutorials. To learn DAX functions and commands for managing roles, refer to the official Power BI documentation and online resources. Feel free to provide more details or ask specific questions if needed. Good luck with your Power BI endeavors!

marcelsmaglhaes
Super User
Super User

Hi @powerperformer 

1) The issue with the RLS (Row-Level Security) message in your Power BI dashboard may not be related to your WiFi network. RLS is a feature in Power BI that restricts data access based on user roles and filters. If you've disabled RLS and still see the message, it might be due to some residual settings or cached permissions. Try the following steps:
- Double-check that RLS is indeed disabled in your dashboard.
- Clear browser cache and cookies.
- Revoke and then re-grant permissions to the users, ensuring that RLS is off.
- Make sure the accounts you're sharing with have proper access to the data sources used in the dashboard.

2) One cost-effective approach could be to use Power BI Pro licenses for report authors and then schedule the reports to be automatically emailed as PDFs to your users at specific intervals. 

3) You can explore Power BI PRO, but if youre service is PPU, then, you will need 6 PPU licenses.

4) Power Automate is a powerful automation tool that integrates with various Microsoft services and other third-party applications. To understand it better, you can start with Microsoft's official Power Automate documentation and tutorials. They offer step-by-step guides and examples to help you grasp the concepts and capabilities of Power Automate.

5) To learn more about DAX (Data Analysis Expressions) and managing roles in Power BI, you can refer to the official documentation provided by Microsoft. Microsoft's website offers comprehensive resources, including DAX functions and syntax, as well as guidance on creating and managing roles in Power BI.

Remember that the specific details and options for your organization may vary, so it's always a good idea to consider the possibility that hiring a consultant for personalized guidance and recommendations for your organization.

Regards,
Marcel

Regards,
Marcel Magalhães

Imagem de fundo

Hi Marcel,

Now we can share the dashboards with our team. I think the issue was , I had created roles but no DAX function given to them. At this moment just deleted all roles and it started working well.

I will slowly introduce roles and its condition in DAX editor.

Thanks for your help.

best regards,

Arti Shah

Hi Marcel,

Thank you for your response.  I have disabled RLS nd have also granted permission to couple of roles . yet the issue remains. Error says that dataset permission is not there. So I gave that as well. 

Deleted Cookies from both the desktops.  Followed your steps as well. 

Im thinking of putting this in server where in through google drive we can give access to team. My idea was to give role based live access . So as every one gets live data. After this is done I will use manage roles feature and set rights to all the team members. 

Currently, I just have one issue of sharing the reports. If that gets solved my dashboards are working good, so no point in getting the consultant .

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

Power BI Carousel June 2024

Power BI Monthly Update - June 2024

Check out the June 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.