Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

franco2

Power BI changing the format of excel data when uploaded

In my excel file I have columns formatted only with time hh:mm:ss.

franco2_0-1709220629406.png

When I upload the file to power Bi it adds a random date.

franco2_1-1709220709338.png

Is there any way to make power BI just pick the time or take the values of the excel file as it is.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
nsexton12
Resolver II
Resolver II

Yes! You just need to go to Power Query (Transform Data) or the Table view in Power BI and change that column type to "Time" only. It is defaulting to Date/Time which is unnecessarily adding that date. The screenshot I have attached is from the Table view.

Date-Time.png

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
audreygerred
Super User
Super User

Hi! In Power Query, you can choose the Time format instead of Date/Time or you can split the date and time, format the time as time and delete the date column since you don't need it.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

nsexton12
Resolver II
Resolver II

Yes! You just need to go to Power Query (Transform Data) or the Table view in Power BI and change that column type to "Time" only. It is defaulting to Date/Time which is unnecessarily adding that date. The screenshot I have attached is from the Table view.

Date-Time.png

One question that it just came to my mind. If I update the table with a new excel file, will I need to set up the format again in the table?

Thnak you! I'm still new to power BI and didn't it was this easy. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.