Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

amsrivas
Helper IV
Helper IV

Power BI Report Builder map with Power BI dataset source

Hi Folks!!

I have to create Power BI BUILDER REPORT with map visual.

Source for the Power BI Builder Report is Dataset generated by another Power BI Desktop report and placed at Power BI Service.

There is spatial data in the dataset say (logitute,lattiute,countryName) and Map is running fine on Power BI Desktop Report.

Now, I have to create same report wirh Power BI Builder, for this, i have chosen Power BI Desktop Dataset as a source for Power BI Builder report and tried to embed with the Map of the report however when i am refering thi dataset in Map of Power BI Builder, it say below error :  "the selected data dosn not contain any spatial filed"

Wondering, how come there are no Spatial field as same data set is working fine Power BI Desktop.

Any Suggestion

Thanks

Amit

12 REPLIES 12
CarlosPelay
Frequent Visitor

Hi did you ever find a solution for this?

I never managed to create the map visual in report builder using the PowerBI dataset. As a workaround I connected report builder directly to the SQL database that I was originally connecting the PowerBI dataset too. From within report builder I wrote some basic SQL scripts that converted the latitude and longitude coordinate columns in the SQL DB to linestrings and points which then allowed me to generate the map visual in report builder. Obviously this workaround might now be applicable in your case as it depends on the original source of data for your PowerBI Dataset.

Hi Thanks for your response.

Would you be able/willing to post relevant portions of those scripts to convert coordinates to points in Report Builder - or point me to an online resource.  I'm not sure I would know how to do that.

Thanks.

Hi I found this online resource very useful to convert columns of latitude and longitude in my SQL database to WKT Points and Linestrings: Introduction to SQL Server Spatial Data - Simple Talk (red-gate.com)

I dont think my exact code would be that helpful given that its very specific to my particular circumstance. Also just to note I used a connection type of Microsoft Azure SQL Database as the Data Source.

Conorw15
Frequent Visitor

Has anyone been able to solve this issue?

I am having the exact same problem.

Lázaro
Frequent Visitor

Have you been able to solve the problem?? I have the same problem and I am not able to solve it. 

Thank you.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

Hi @amitchandak ,

Thanks for providing Links however i have already had look into the same/.

My goal is to use Power BI DESKTOP dataset as a source  tp Power BI Report Builder report, only problem is wheni am refering Power BI Report Dataset in Power BI Repot Builder, it states "The Selected Dataset doen't contain any Spatail fields" however in actual it does contain and working fine with Power BI Desktop report.

Please suggest

Thanks

Amit Srivastava

Hi @amsrivas ,

Has your problem been solved?

Best regards,
Lionel Chen

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @amsrivas ,

According to the tutorial, I think Power BI Desktop and Power BI Report Builder have different requirements for spatial data format.

Therefore, Power BI Report Builder can not recognize spatial data.

v-lionel-msft_0-1598944161254.png

Try to create such a column in the dataset and follow the steps in the link to set.

v-lionel-msft_0-1598944820338.png

From step 11 

Best regards,
Lionel Chen

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi, 

I created the column as shown in powerBI, however reportbuilder still says that "The selected dataset does not contain any spatial field"

Any tips? We do not have a SQL database availble for use to copy our records to. 

Thanks!

Hi @v-lionel-msft ,

Thanks for the reply. I need to display data from my Power BI dataset, the way this tutorial is suggesting, it is kind of hard coded data, Ionly want to display data that is available in power BI Dataaset. Please suggest!!

Thanks Amit

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Fabric Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Fabric update to learn about new features.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.