Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Mater
Frequent Visitor

Paramatising a Direct Query Semantic Model Data Source

Does anyone know how i can paramatise the semantic model i am using as my data source (via direct query) ?

I have a DEV and PROD version of the semantic model i am using as my data source for my report.  These semantic models are in different Power BI workspaces.  I am trying to paramatise the semantic model data source, so when i use my deployment pipeline to deploy my report from DEV to PROD, that it will change from the datasource from the semantic model in DEV to the semantic model in PROD.

Appreciate any guidance

thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-kongfanf-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Mater ,

There are real limitations to using parameters with the semantic model directly in Power BI Desktop, especially if the connection is not in DirectQuery mode. parameters in Power BI are primarily used to process queries that can be modified directly in Power BI Desktop, which is why you may find that the "Parameters" button is disabled when you are connecting to a semantic model in a way that does not allow local query modifications. This is why when connecting to a semantic model in a way that does not allow local query modification, you may find that the Parameters button is disabled.

Refer to below document:

Semantic models in the Power BI service - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Introduction to semantic models across workspaces - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Best Regards,
Adamk Kong

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-kongfanf-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Mater ,

There are real limitations to using parameters with the semantic model directly in Power BI Desktop, especially if the connection is not in DirectQuery mode. parameters in Power BI are primarily used to process queries that can be modified directly in Power BI Desktop, which is why you may find that the "Parameters" button is disabled when you are connecting to a semantic model in a way that does not allow local query modifications. This is why when connecting to a semantic model in a way that does not allow local query modification, you may find that the Parameters button is disabled.

Refer to below document:

Semantic models in the Power BI service - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Introduction to semantic models across workspaces - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Best Regards,
Adamk Kong

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.