Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Sherwinzhu

Need help on getting data from a shared link of a onedrive excel file

Dear,

My client's excel data is storaged in their Onedrive. They shared the link with me and I would like to connect my pb desktop with this link to refresh data. However, when I tried to connect via "Get data"--"web", the result of the connection is not excel data but: some text file as following: 

Sherwinzhu_0-1711928541008.png

I tried some method online, for example: open the link in excel desktop, then 'copy path' etc, it just did not work. 

Can someone give me a hint of how to do it? 

2 REPLIES 2
v-jialongy-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Sherwinzhu 

According to your description, the customer put the excel file on OneDrive, you should ensure the link format is correct. The link you use should directly point to the Excel file. When you get the shared link, make sure it's the link to the actual file and not a web page or folder. If you're using the link provided by the OneDrive share feature, you might need to adjust it to point directly to the file.

you can refer to the following documents:

Use OneDrive for work or school links in Power BI Desktop - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Best Regards,

Jayleny

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hello everyone!

Sadly I have the same problem.

I use OneDrive for personal files, nothing related to work. But I use Excel online for my financial control (with shared excel files from my family), with connection of Power BI.

It used to have a functional link as a web source via PowerQuery that was something like:

"Excel.Workbook(Web.Contents("https://onedrive.live.com/download?resid=XXXXXXXXXXX%XXXXXXXXX&authkey=%XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX&em=2&app=Ex...")  ".

I believe it is the same problem that @Sherwinzhu is facing, because recently all links on Excel Online in onedrive changed to something like this:

"https://1drv.ms/x/c/XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX/XXXXXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX?wdAllowInteractivity=False&..."

The solution presented by @v-jialongy-msft is, sadly, outdated. ☹️

Looking forward for a solution as well... Because I am getting desperate 😅.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.