Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Vikram1
Frequent Visitor

Is there any row limit to fetch data in power bi from sharepoint

Is there any row limit to fetch data in power bi from sharepoint.

which one is the best connection for sharepoint in power bi.

a. ODataFeed

b. SharePoint Online List

c. SharePoint List

d. SharePoint folder

6 REPLIES 6
PeterHarket
Frequent Visitor

Found out about Dataverse/Power Apps which pretty much gives the same capability as lists but without the limitations.

hey can you tell me what you mean by that? you mean if i have a sharepoint list connection to power bi, there is an alternative way to connect it to power bi through dataverse? Sorry Im new to this.

ezFlow
Frequent Visitor

To confirm, Power BI Desktop doesn't have a 5,000 row limit of pulling data?

If I had a list of 10,000 + rows, for performance would you recommend using a SP online list or a Dataverse?

kroman
Helper I
Helper I

What about 5000 rows limit you can get from Sharepoint List?

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Vikram1,

There is no limitation about how large amount of data imported into Power BI desktop. However, there is a 1 GB limit of pbix file that can be published to Power BI service: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-admin-manage-your-data-storage-in-power-bi#dataset...

If you want to get data from the SharePoint lists, you can use SharePoint Online List (SPO) or SharePoint List( SP on-premise). If you want to get data from files stored in SharePoint, you can use SharePoint folder. 

We can use the ODataFeed connector as long as the target data source provides OData APIs. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I would like to echo the subsequent questions asked by Vikram1: 

What about 5000 rows limit you can get from Sharepoint List?

To confirm, Power BI Desktop doesn't have a 5,000 row limit of pulling data?

If I had a list of 10,000 + rows, for performance would you recommend using a SP online list or a Dataverse?

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.