Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

tiny
Frequent Visitor

Interaction doesn't refresh on another slicer when a slicer selection changes

Hello,

I need to ensure Single selection for hierarchy on Slicer, but it looks like Power BI doesn't support it after I did some search on the web. So I tried to implement a workaround by seperating hierarchy as three slicers. And I make sure the interaction is correctly played as hierarchy. But the problem is when I select a different value from higher level, the next level refreshes with the new values, but keep the last selected value. Here is an example: suppose we have a location table:

tiny_0-1713224495511.png

with three slicers:

tiny_1-1713224550577.png

we selected CN, then ON, then NORTH YORK, but if we changed to select US, we got the following:

tiny_2-1713224637951.png

We can see the dropdown list are refreshed accordingly, but the selected value still old values, how can we get rid of the old value when the dropdown list is refreshed? 

Your help is really appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @tiny 

Thanks for your quick reply , you can consider to use new slicer, it support the clear icon when you use single selection. and when you click other seleciton , the original selection will disappear.

vxinruzhumsft_0-1713404341264.png

vxinruzhumsft_1-1713404463012.png

If you don't have the new slicer, please update your desktop version to the newest.

Best Regards!

Yolo Zhu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
adudani
Super User
Super User

hi @tiny ,
You should be able to add a hierarchy/three fields into the same slicer choose single select shown below:

adudani_0-1713225325151.png

if this doesn't resolve the issue, kindly provide a sample input and output data masking sensitive information

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!
If my response(s) assisted you in any way, don't forget to drop me a Kudos 🙂
Kind Regards,
Avinash
tiny
Frequent Visitor

Thank you so much Avinash for quick reply. The problem is we want to ensure the single selection on the leaf level. Your example has two values selected under Korea. We would like to allow only one selected at the last level....

Hi,

Thanks for the solution @adudani  provided, and i want to offer some more information for user to refer to.

hello @tiny , based on your description, This is related to the Power BI design, if you want to remove this option, before you check the other options, you will need to click the clear icon in the top right first then this option will disappear and you can select other options.

vxinruzhumsft_0-1713336801014.png

Best Regards!

Yolo Zhu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you Yolo so much for the suggestion. But we would like to have the list auto refreshed, because users normally don't go click that clear icon every time when they select the other slicer. And actually clear icon doesn't exist when we choose single selection on the slicer. 

Hi @tiny 

Thanks for your quick reply , you can consider to use new slicer, it support the clear icon when you use single selection. and when you click other seleciton , the original selection will disappear.

vxinruzhumsft_0-1713404341264.png

vxinruzhumsft_1-1713404463012.png

If you don't have the new slicer, please update your desktop version to the newest.

Best Regards!

Yolo Zhu

Thank you Yolo so much! It looks like the new slicer does reset the list and unselect old value, that's good! It looks like it doesn't allow dropdown list, is it possible we set the new slicer as dropdown list? 

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.