Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Guru123
Frequent Visitor

How to set default MAX date in Slicer

Dear Team,

I have a date slicer on the page, I would like to select automatically most recent date(Max date) in the slicer when users open the dashboard. Can please help to share the logic. Apprecite the help! 

Thanks

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Thanks a lot, Sergii24. It works! I would like to show the maximum date as a date value,

example : Maximum date 14/09/2023 , is this possible, please. thanks

View solution in original post

I'm glad it helped, @Guru123 ! Unfotunately you can't add the date itself there as the whole concept is to make sure that your slicer value is static (so doesn't change after refresh). 

You can add a "selected period" label somewhere in your report to underline what date is selected.

Remember to mark answer as solution so others can easily find it if the face a similar problem 🙂
Have a great day! 

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
blodus
Advocate II
Advocate II

Ugh - why do so many simple things require half-assed workarounds in PBI? 

Nayan_surya
Frequent Visitor

Hi @Guru123 

I've also faced a similar problem previously and wanted to add Max week, and Max month as options in the Date slicer.

I've found a Custom visual from Powerviz - named Date Picker.

It allows to have all of these preset in-built and has lot more features with free trial option.

Nayan_surya_0-1702624438842.png

You can check it out at https://shorturl.at/pAM18

Sergii24
Super User
Super User

Hi @Guru123, filtering a dynamic date by default is a tricky thing! The biggest problem is not in defining a logic to select a specific date or date range, but in getting rid of previos label. For example, today your max date is 14/09/2023, so you creare a measure that gives you a desired result and the report is filtered as expected. However, tomorrow, when your measure will correctly point to 15/09/2022, the previous label of 14/09/2023 will remain selected (even if this date doesn't exist in your report anymore!). You'll need to select another value from a filter to make disappear "14/09/2023".

To overcome this problem, I would suggest you to create a calculated column in your Calendar Table, where for max date you'll return a label "Maximum date" and for the rest rows - corresponding date from a date column. In such you, "Maximum date" label will remain static (so there is no need to unclick it every day) but will point to different date depending on report refresh (remember that calcualted column value is calcualted when you refresh a report).

Sergii24_0-1694677941893.png

Sergii24_1-1694677993686.png

Calculated column code:

Date for filter = 
VAR _MaxDate = MAX( 'Calendar Table'[Date] )
RETURN 
    IF(
        'Calendar Table'[Date] = _MaxDate,
        "Maximum date",
        FORMAT( 'Calendar Table'[Date], "dd/mm/yyyy" )
    )

Thanks a lot, Sergii24. It works! I would like to show the maximum date as a date value,

example : Maximum date 14/09/2023 , is this possible, please. thanks

I'm glad it helped, @Guru123 ! Unfotunately you can't add the date itself there as the whole concept is to make sure that your slicer value is static (so doesn't change after refresh). 

You can add a "selected period" label somewhere in your report to underline what date is selected.

Remember to mark answer as solution so others can easily find it if the face a similar problem 🙂
Have a great day! 

Can you please elaborate this approach what you mean there?

I tried your above suggested solution but I want to use my slicer in "Between" slicer style since the date range is really long. Now because the calculated column now becomes a text column, it wouldn't work for this style.

If there is a way that I can manipulate tmy slicer to show the last date value by setting an underlying value or filter somehow in a between style slicer, I would be great.

Hi @swathisudheer, the idea of this approach is to have a some static value filtered, so whenever you refresh a report it remains invariate (even if behind the scene the date or date range has changed). 

Because of using a static string value, a new calcualted column is not of type Date anymore but Text. Therefore, you can't expect the same behavior as if it would be a date type column when using this column in a slicer. I don't think it can be changed as you can't mix different data types in the same column. 

I hope it helps!  

Hi Swathi, 

Even I am using the same "Between" Style in my Date Slicer - Whenever I am manually refreshing the Data, then The Upper Limit in the Date Slicer is not getting updated to the latest date - It is still showin the Old Date

Please refer to this YouTube video. This may help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4AF9lQCick

Brilliant, yet so silly.

To summarize: Add the date slicer, but don't touch it after that, and it will dynamically adjust.

Thank you 😊 

123abc
Community Champion
Community Champion

In Power BI, you can set a default maximum date (Max date) in a slicer by using the "Default Value" property of the slicer. Here's how you can do it:

1. Select the slicer visual on your Power BI report page.
  2. In the "Visualizations" pane, make sure the slicer visual is selected (it should have a border around it).
  3. In the "Format" section of the "Visualizations" pane, expand the "General" section.
  4. Look for the "Default Value" property.

Now, to set the default maximum date, you have a few options:

Option 1: Fixed Date

• To set a fixed maximum date, click on the "Fixed" option under "Default Value."
  • A calendar control will appear, allowing you to select the desired maximum date.

Option 2: Calculated Date

• To set the default maximum date dynamically based on your data, click on the "Advanced" option under "Default Value."
  • In the formula bar, you can enter a DAX expression to calculate the maximum date. For example, if you want the maximum date to be the maximum date in your date field, you can use the following DAX expression:

=MAX('YourTable'[YourDateColumn])

• Replace 'YourTable'[YourDateColumn] with the actual table and date column from your data model.

Option 3: Relative Date

• If you want the maximum date to be relative to the current date (e.g., today's date), you can use a DAX expression like this:

=TODAY()

Choose the option that best suits your needs and enter the appropriate value or DAX expression. After setting the default maximum date, the slicer will automatically show that date when users open the dashboard in Power BI.

Remember to save your report after making these changes to preserve the default maximum date setting.

I do not see 'Default Value' under General

This is literal nonsense. 

Date slicers don't have this field. You've clearly just tried to chase clout by posting an AI generated solution.

@Hi @123abc, I didn't know that default value option existis in format pane! Would you be so kidn to send a screenshot where I can find it? I've tried to follow your suggestion but even search doesn't provide me any value for a sting "default" within the list of available formatting items...

Sergii24_1-1694678336028.png

Thank you!

Indeed it doesn't exists, ChatGPT can be wrong sometimes...

Well what he is expaining is what chatGPT says, but it doesn't exist, indeed! Neither in PowerBi Desktop nor in PowerBi Service, but I would very much wanted to be wrong.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.