Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

dejudicibus
Frequent Visitor

How to link labels and values of different tables

Let's suppose that I have three spreadsheet. The first one (QUESTIONS.XLSX) is a list of questions. Each question has a unique identifier. For example:

QCodeQText
Q1Do you like potatos?
Q2Do you like tomatos?
Q3Do you like bananas?

The second one (ANSWERS.XLSX) is a list of answers that are good for each question. For example:

ACodeATextAValue
A1;Not at all0
A2Not much1
A3Quite a lot2
A4A lot3

The third (SURVEY.XLSX) is the result of an anonymous survey using those questions and answers:

PCodeQ1Q2Q3
P1A3A2A1
P2A1A3A3
P3A3A1A1

P100A1A2A2

How can I connect them in PowerBI considering that the LABELs of each column in SURVEY but the first one — representing anonymously the people who participated to the survey — are the values of column QCode in QUESTIONS; and that the VALUES of each column in SURVEY but the first one, are the values of column ACode in ANSWERS?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @dejudicibus ,

Just like what @amitchandak mentioned, it is suggested to use "UnPivot" and "Merge" to transform your data. For detailed stpes, please check:

steps.gif

Or, just unpivot the Survey table and don't merge them. Then use relationships to connect three tables.

relationships.PNG

Best Regards,

Icey

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @dejudicibus ,

Just like what @amitchandak mentioned, it is suggested to use "UnPivot" and "Merge" to transform your data. For detailed stpes, please check:

steps.gif

Or, just unpivot the Survey table and don't merge them. Then use relationships to connect three tables.

relationships.PNG

Best Regards,

Icey

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Think of all, thank you for advice. I do not know Unpivot feature, so it looks like I have to study. I will work on that and let you know if works. I appreciate your help.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

Unpivot is really a powerful feature. Thank you very much, to you and to @Icey for tutorial. Thank you.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.