Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

tomperro
Helper III
Helper III

How to establish relationship

I have 2 problems that I need a solution for.

Problem 1 is that I have a table of observations that contains a column of who did the observation (supervisor id) and a column of who the observation was on (employee id). I need to connect the observation table to my contact table to get the contact information.  
I duplicated the contact table and made a connection from observation.employee_id to contact.employee_id in the first contact table and then a connection from observation.supervisor_id to contact.employee_id.  This works but I'm not sure if this is the best method of doing this.  I don't want to use userelationship because I already have a ton of measures and calculated columns that I do not want to change.

Problem 2 is that I have a department table the lists our department, division and other location data. I plan to use this as a slicer.  I can connect the department table to my contact tables but BI will not let me make them active, says I have a relationship between department and observation already.

basically I need to see what observations a supervisor has done but also need to see which employees have had observations done on them. Both of these need to be filtered by department and division.

so if I select the transportation department I need to see the observations the supervisors in the transportation department have done and also need to see what transportation employees have had an observation done on them.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-tianyich-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @tomperro ,

For the first question, based solely on the information provided, this approach is desirable. For the second question, you could try using SUMMARIZE to pick out the columns that are needed as slicers, and then write a MEASUREMENT filter by SELECTEDVALUE.

Hope it helps!

Best regards,
Community Support Team_ Scott Chang

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-tianyich-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @tomperro ,

For the first question, based solely on the information provided, this approach is desirable. For the second question, you could try using SUMMARIZE to pick out the columns that are needed as slicers, and then write a MEASUREMENT filter by SELECTEDVALUE.

Hope it helps!

Best regards,
Community Support Team_ Scott Chang

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.