Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

juliannegibson

How to create graphs using budgeted vs actual data from two different columns?

Our team has recently moved our data collection over to Asana to help with collection and organization. I am much happier with this change but am struggling to figure out how to create our graphs comparing target values vs actual values like we have in the past. Our data structure currently looks like this when exported out of Asana 

juliannegibson_0-1704816430422.png

I've researched this question in the forums and it seems everyone says to use unpivot to fix the problem, but I don't see a way to unpivot this to make that work. It is not an option to change the format in Asana, our team worked on multiple ways to store that data and this was the best option. Other options would have had even more problems. 

Here is an example of the type of graphs we usually would make with this kind of data. 

juliannegibson_1-1704816534306.png

Here is an example of how our data used to be stored. In this format, we stored each department in their own sheet and all numbers were in the same column with a column that stored if it was a budget or actual to filter on.

juliannegibson_2-1704816689641.png

Does anyone have any advice on how to deal with this problem?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
marcelsmaglhaes
Super User
Super User

Hi @juliannegibson 

In fact, the best way I can see is pivot columns Target Value and Actual Value. You can load the data from ASANA and use the Unpivot Columns in Power Query. See the images bellow.

marcelsmaglhaes_0-1704821482964.pngmarcelsmaglhaes_1-1704821511825.png

marcelsmaglhaes_2-1704821636493.png

Regards,
Marcel Magalhães
Microsoft Power BI Official Partner
MCT | Certified PL-300 Power BI

If I've helped, don't forget to mark my post as a solution!
Imagem de fundo

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
marcelsmaglhaes
Super User
Super User

Hi @juliannegibson 

In fact, the best way I can see is pivot columns Target Value and Actual Value. You can load the data from ASANA and use the Unpivot Columns in Power Query. See the images bellow.

marcelsmaglhaes_0-1704821482964.pngmarcelsmaglhaes_1-1704821511825.png

marcelsmaglhaes_2-1704821636493.png

Regards,
Marcel Magalhães
Microsoft Power BI Official Partner
MCT | Certified PL-300 Power BI

If I've helped, don't forget to mark my post as a solution!
Imagem de fundo

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.