Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

GAPER
Helper V
Helper V

How Would you Create dimention Model In this Case

Let's say there are three levels of object and there could be two possible way of relationships

Strategy -> Project -> securities -> Facts

Strategy ------------->securities -> Facts

There is a common table currently storing securities transactions. PowerBI doesn't allow me to create these two active relationship concurrently. Have you guys seen anything like this before and what's the best way to deal with it?

What i can think of is to break Facts into two table one for each kind of realtionship. But this would make reporting incomplete. For example if i want a table having the total value of the two. Thank you very much.

1 REPLY 1
OwenAuger
Super User
Super User

Hi @GAPER 

Given what you've described, I would be tempted to join Strategy, Project and Securities into a single dimension table "Securities".

The joined Securities table would follow this structure:

Strategy Project Securities Source table
Strategy Key Strategy Cols Project Key Project Cols Securities Key Securities Cols  
Strat_001 <…> Proj_001 <…> Sec_001 <…> Project nonblank
Strat_002 <…> Proj_002 <…> Sec_002 <…>
Strat_003 <…> (blank) (blank) Sec_003 <…> Project blank
Strat_004 <…> (blank) (blank) Sec_004 <…>

In cases wher Project is not part of the original relationship, the Project columns in the joined table would be blank.

Is there any reason why this wouldn't work, given how you are using the model for reporting?

Please post back with more detail if needed.

Regards

Owen Auger
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Blog
Twitter
LinkedIn

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.