Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Help needed ASAP PLEASE - Previous Month Function and Previous Quarter not working accurately for me

Hi,

Goal: Get previous month value and put it into a card visual. I also need to get previous quartervalues because I will make a QoQ moving average later on.

Questions:

1. From below image, why is getting the blank value? The card visual should be getting $3.444,386 as the previous month value

2. Why did previous quarter price sum? I only need to pick last quarter value because my end goal is to create a QoQ moving average

Formula Used:

Previous Month: 

Previous Month Price = CALCULATE(sum('b2b_datalab_cvm_pp_result JJ_Mobility_Trading_Ranges'[ARPU]), PREVIOUSMONTH('b2b_datalab_cvm_pp_result JJ_Mobility_Trading_Ranges'[Renewal Date YM]))

Previous Quarter:
Previous Quarter Price = CALCULATE(sum('b2b_datalab_cvm_pp_result JJ_Mobility_Trading_Ranges'[ARPU]), PREVIOUSQUARTER('b2b_datalab_cvm_pp_result JJ_Mobility_Trading_Ranges'[Renewal Date YM]))

jdalfonso_0-1621393578000.png

Note: I cannot use dateadd function in the 1st question because I have a slicer for the renewal date. I need a dynamic measure for the previous month price depending on the filter for renewal date: 

jdalfonso_1-1621393743581.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , I think PREVIOUSQUARTER, PREVIOUSMONTH take the first date. so the basis are 01/05/2020, for both. Before it. If you need based on 30/04/2021 you need use datesqtd, datesmtd.

Also use date table, not the date column from your table

example

QTD Sales = CALCULATE(sum('b2b_datalab_cvm_pp_result JJ_Mobility_Trading_Ranges'[ARPU]),DATESQTD(('Date'[Date])))

Last QTD Sales = CALCULATE(sum('b2b_datalab_cvm_pp_result JJ_Mobility_Trading_Ranges'[ARPU]),DATESQTD(dateadd('Date'[Date],-1,QUARTER)))

Qtr Sales = CALCULATE(sum('b2b_datalab_cvm_pp_result JJ_Mobility_Trading_Ranges'[ARPU]),DATESQTD(ENDOFQUARTER('Date'[Date])))

Last QUARTER Sales = CALCULATE(sum('b2b_datalab_cvm_pp_result JJ_Mobility_Trading_Ranges'[ARPU]),DATESQTD( ENDOFQUARTER(dateadd('Date'[Date],-1,QUARTER))))

MTD Sales = CALCULATE(sum('b2b_datalab_cvm_pp_result JJ_Mobility_Trading_Ranges'[ARPU]),DATESMTD('Date'[Date]))

last MTD Sales = CALCULATE(sum('b2b_datalab_cvm_pp_result JJ_Mobility_Trading_Ranges'[ARPU]),DATESMTD(dateadd('Date'[Date],-1,MONTH)))

this month = CALCULATE(sum('b2b_datalab_cvm_pp_result JJ_Mobility_Trading_Ranges'[ARPU]),DATESMTD(ENDOFMONTH('Date'[Date])))

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , I think PREVIOUSQUARTER, PREVIOUSMONTH take the first date. so the basis are 01/05/2020, for both. Before it. If you need based on 30/04/2021 you need use datesqtd, datesmtd.

Also use date table, not the date column from your table

example

QTD Sales = CALCULATE(sum('b2b_datalab_cvm_pp_result JJ_Mobility_Trading_Ranges'[ARPU]),DATESQTD(('Date'[Date])))

Last QTD Sales = CALCULATE(sum('b2b_datalab_cvm_pp_result JJ_Mobility_Trading_Ranges'[ARPU]),DATESQTD(dateadd('Date'[Date],-1,QUARTER)))

Qtr Sales = CALCULATE(sum('b2b_datalab_cvm_pp_result JJ_Mobility_Trading_Ranges'[ARPU]),DATESQTD(ENDOFQUARTER('Date'[Date])))

Last QUARTER Sales = CALCULATE(sum('b2b_datalab_cvm_pp_result JJ_Mobility_Trading_Ranges'[ARPU]),DATESQTD( ENDOFQUARTER(dateadd('Date'[Date],-1,QUARTER))))

MTD Sales = CALCULATE(sum('b2b_datalab_cvm_pp_result JJ_Mobility_Trading_Ranges'[ARPU]),DATESMTD('Date'[Date]))

last MTD Sales = CALCULATE(sum('b2b_datalab_cvm_pp_result JJ_Mobility_Trading_Ranges'[ARPU]),DATESMTD(dateadd('Date'[Date],-1,MONTH)))

this month = CALCULATE(sum('b2b_datalab_cvm_pp_result JJ_Mobility_Trading_Ranges'[ARPU]),DATESMTD(ENDOFMONTH('Date'[Date])))

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

How do you do the Date'[Date]'? 

What I did was calendarauto

@Anonymous , Calender  or calendar Auto

Creating Financial Calendar - From Any Month
https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Creating-Financial-Calendar-Decoding-Date-and-Calendar-1-5-Power/ba-p/1187441

various other link to create a calendar

To get the best of the time intelligence function. Make sure you have a date calendar and it has been marked as the date in model view. Also, join it with the date column of your fact/s. Refer :radacad sqlbi My Video Series Appreciate your Kudos.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.