Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

JimmerWiley

HELP - Issue with Merging Queries/(as New). It may be an easy/quick fix

When I am Merging Queries and Merging Queries as New, I keep running into an issue. After I'm selecting the correct tables and matching columns, select the correct join kind, and hit OK, it gives me the additional column at the end of the data that just reads "Table." Then I choose to expand my table. My expanded columns are now there, but all the original data is now "null" and I'm unable to figure out how/why. 

- This doesn't happen for each queries I merge. 

- I've already tried changing location of the data, Trimming any blank spaces, and every option/combination of selections I could think of. 

I'm a newer user in Pwer BI and I'm hoping this is an easy fix. 

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
JimmerWiley

I'm merging two sets of data to create a table that contains data relating to both data sets. In excel, I would've written a SUMIF formula. 

Specifically, I am trying to create a table that contains both Sales and Returns, tied to each Order ID. 

Sales Table -

RegionSalesOrder ID
Central5.988525
West13.0188522
West49.9288523

Returns Table - 

Order IDStatus
88522Returned
88525Returned
88614Returned

After merging, there is the new column that says "Table" in each row. When I expand that column, all my data in the unrelated fields (ie Region, Sales, etc.) turns "null."

I've done this successfully when merging as new to create sales data by region, but not here. 

Cannot reproduce

lbendlin_0-1712162846807.png

Note: No real need to merge these - let the data model do the work.

I may have over simplified, I've attached the data file. You'll notice the separate tabs.

https://njmr215424509-my.sharepoint.us/:x:/r/personal/jwiley_energyharbor_com/_layouts/15/Doc.aspx?s... . I really appreciate you trying to help. 

Also, could you elaborate on "let the data model do the work?"

link requires access.

Instead of merging the tables in Power Query you can join them in Power BI, and then use a table visual to show all the required fields.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Can you explain why you need the merge in the first place?

Please provide sample data that covers your issue or question completely, in a usable format (not as a screenshot).

Do not include sensitive information or anything not related to the issue or question.

If you are unsure how to upload data please refer to https://community.fabric.microsoft.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-provide-sample-data-in-the-Power-BI-...

Please show the expected outcome based on the sample data you provided.

Want faster answers? https://community.fabric.microsoft.com/t5/Desktop/How-to-Get-Your-Question-Answered-Quickly/m-p/1447...

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.