Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

raddis

Getting numbers into numerical order

Im rather new at power bi.

Trying to get the 1001-10,000 down below the 501-1000. I cant change the type from text to whole number. It wont allow it. 

How can I get this in the correct order? I formulated this from excel. Its pulling the formulated column from excel. Should I do the formulation instead in power bi? 

Hope that makes sense. 

raddis_0-1715785774103.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-nuoc-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @raddis 

@Kaviraj11 Thank you very much for your prompt reply. Allow me to offer another thought here.

First, make sure your data order is correct by loading the data into desktop. Select tranform data to go into power query.

Add the index column.

vnuocmsft_1-1715827738752.png

vnuocmsft_0-1715827715547.png

Create a slicer visual. Click on the column you want to sort by and in the column tools, click sort by column and select index.

vnuocmsft_3-1715827990846.png

Here is the result.

vnuocmsft_4-1715828026782.png

Regards,

Nono Chen

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-nuoc-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @raddis 

@Kaviraj11 Thank you very much for your prompt reply. Allow me to offer another thought here.

First, make sure your data order is correct by loading the data into desktop. Select tranform data to go into power query.

Add the index column.

vnuocmsft_1-1715827738752.png

vnuocmsft_0-1715827715547.png

Create a slicer visual. Click on the column you want to sort by and in the column tools, click sort by column and select index.

vnuocmsft_3-1715827990846.png

Here is the result.

vnuocmsft_4-1715828026782.png

Regards,

Nono Chen

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Kaviraj11
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Step 1

Create a Custom Table with all the category either manually in Power Query or read from source.

Create a new column beside and provide the number in the order you want to arrange.

Kaviraj11_0-1715787722450.png

Step 2

Create a relationship between the column in actual table to the custom sort table

Step 3

Create a column in Actual table with an expression.

Sort order = RELATED(CustomSortTable[Sort])

Step 4

Select the column you want to sort, and a “Column Tools” menu bar will appear at the top. Now Select the “Sort by column” and select the sort order column.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.