Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Alusine_Kamara
Helper II
Helper II

Formatting Column

Dear All, please can someone help me with the difference between a "Whole number" formatted column and a "Numeric" formatted column. Examples of when to use both would be highly appreciated. Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
marcelsmaglhaes
Super User
Super User

Hey @Alusine_Kamara 

In Power BI, the "Whole Number" and "Decimal Number" formats refer to how the numeric values in a column are displayed. Here's the difference between them:

1. Whole Number Format:

• Usage: This format is suitable for columns that represent counts, quantities, or any numeric values that should be displayed as whole numbers without decimal places.
    • Examples:
      • Number of units sold.
      • Quantity of items in stock.

2. Decimal Number Format (Numeric):

• Usage: This format is used when you want to display numeric values with decimal places. It is suitable for columns where precision with decimals is important.
    • Examples:
      • Average sales price.
      • Percentage values.

When to Use:

• Use the "Whole Number" format when your values represent counts or quantities that are naturally whole numbers (e.g., number of customers, units sold).
  • Use the "Decimal Number" format when your values include fractional parts or require a specific level of precision (e.g., average rating, revenue).

Regards,
Marcel Magalhães
Microsoft Power BI Official Partner
MCT | Certified PL-300 Power BI

If I've helped, don't forget to mark my post as a solution!
Imagem de fundo

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Alusine_Kamara
Helper II
Helper II

Hey Marcel, good morning from Sierra Leone, West Africa. Your solution is concise...to the point. Thank you! 

marcelsmaglhaes
Super User
Super User

Hey @Alusine_Kamara 

In Power BI, the "Whole Number" and "Decimal Number" formats refer to how the numeric values in a column are displayed. Here's the difference between them:

1. Whole Number Format:

• Usage: This format is suitable for columns that represent counts, quantities, or any numeric values that should be displayed as whole numbers without decimal places.
    • Examples:
      • Number of units sold.
      • Quantity of items in stock.

2. Decimal Number Format (Numeric):

• Usage: This format is used when you want to display numeric values with decimal places. It is suitable for columns where precision with decimals is important.
    • Examples:
      • Average sales price.
      • Percentage values.

When to Use:

• Use the "Whole Number" format when your values represent counts or quantities that are naturally whole numbers (e.g., number of customers, units sold).
  • Use the "Decimal Number" format when your values include fractional parts or require a specific level of precision (e.g., average rating, revenue).

Regards,
Marcel Magalhães
Microsoft Power BI Official Partner
MCT | Certified PL-300 Power BI

If I've helped, don't forget to mark my post as a solution!
Imagem de fundo

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.