Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

fz1
Frequent Visitor

Find common values based on selected category

I am very new to PowerBI and am trying to dynamically find the common values in one column based on selected category(ies) in another column. For example, I would like to know from the following table what are the common Items based on the Store column:

fz1_2-1692724420826.png

Such that, if I have a slicer with the Store names and select all stores, I'll get the following results:

fz1_3-1692724500807.png

Or if I select Stores A and B on the slicer, the table will update to this:

fz1_4-1692724695369.png

Thank you very much!

3 REPLIES 3
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@fz1 I see, I also have the video on exact question Suppliers Products Price Analysis - Compare Price of ONLY Common Products between Selected Suppliers...

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@fz1 I think this video on my YT channel will get you going How to override slicer selection to return all records | PeryTUS - Power BI How To - YouTube

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

fz1
Frequent Visitor

thank you so much for the response, but I believe what I'm trying to do is a little different than what the video is showing as my data is structured differently. The video shows the first two records have the same combination of "Work Order" and "Responsible" (1234567 and Dan) - my dataset is different in that each combination of "Work Order" and "Responsible" is unique. So, to go back to my requirement: I am trying to find what Items are common in the Stores; to give another example, if I select stores B and C, it will show only the common items in both stores (=bread and cheese).

To give a little more context, all my data is currently in one table (so I wouldn't need to link any tables) and I am using one of the columns as a slicer (in the above example, it is the Store column). Also, the real dataset I am using has about 10k records.

In summary, I am trying to make multiple selections on the slicer and have it return the intersecting records on my table based on the slicer as opposed to returning all the records (which is what it is currently doing). 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.