Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

PowerDebi

Filter selection width problem

Hey everyone,

I'm facing a problem with one of my filter visuals and I'm hoping someone here might have a solution.

On the left side of my report, I have the page navigation and several filter visuals. One of these filters has a hierarchy of 4 levels. As you can see in the screenshot, the selection is barely visible. I've considered horizontal scrolling or automatic width adjustment, but I don't think these options are available.

Can anyone suggest an alternative solution? I'd prefer not to relocate the visual filter (as it would drastically change the layout of my reports) or manually adjust the width (also not an option).

Thanks for your help.

2024-04-22 10_23_59-app-bsdm-0-01 - Verbinding met extern bureaublad.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hey @v-nuoc-msft thank you as well for your suggestion.

I gave it a try, but i've got 4-5 hierarchy levels and using these modifications does not do the trick. For know I know that there isn't really a good solution for this, unless putting the filter on the top or make the visual wider.

Thank you all.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
v-nuoc-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @PowerDebi 

@Uzi2019 @johnbasha33 Thank you very much for your prompt reply, and here allow me to offer some suggestions.

If you want to present as much complete data as possible when space is limited. Consider modifying the slicer format as well as the font.

You can modify the font and size in the slicer, or modify the slicer hierarchy to make it more compact.

vnuocmsft_0-1714027464347.png

I hope this approach provides you with some help.

Regards,

Nono Chen

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hey @v-nuoc-msft thank you as well for your suggestion.

I gave it a try, but i've got 4-5 hierarchy levels and using these modifications does not do the trick. For know I know that there isn't really a good solution for this, unless putting the filter on the top or make the visual wider.

Thank you all.

Hi @PowerDebi 

Thank you for sharing!

Regards,

Nono Chen

Uzi2019
Super User
Super User

Hi @PowerDebi 
To save a space for slicer values you can try for walnut slicer.

Uzi2019_0-1713787808802.png

or you can try with Hierarchy  slicer

Uzi2019_1-1713788077735.png

I hope it may resolves your issue!

Don't forget to give thumbs up and accept this as a solution if it helped you!!!

Hey @Uzi2019 ,

Thank you for your suggestions.

Hierarchy slicer and Walnut slicer unfortunately do not fix the problem as described.

johnbasha33
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

@PowerDebi 

It looks like the hierarchy levels in your filter visual are too wide to be fully displayed within the available space. Here are a few alternative solutions you can consider:

1. **Dropdown Menu**: If the filter allows it, you can change the display mode to a dropdown menu. This will collapse the hierarchy levels into a single dropdown, which users can expand to make selections.

2. **Tooltip**: Configure the filter to display a tooltip when users hover over it. This tooltip can show the full hierarchy levels, allowing users to see the complete selection without taking up additional space on the page.

3. **Drill-down**: Implement a drill-down feature where users can click on each level of the hierarchy to navigate through the levels. This way, users can explore the hierarchy in more detail without needing to display all levels at once.

4. **Search Functionality**: Add a search functionality to the filter, allowing users to search for specific items within the hierarchy. This can help users quickly find and select the items they're interested in without needing to navigate through all the hierarchy levels manually.

5. **Scrollable Container**: If none of the above solutions work, consider placing the filter inside a scrollable container. This will allow users to scroll horizontally to view the complete hierarchy levels while keeping the overall layout of your report intact.

Choose the solution that best fits your requirements and the capabilities of your reporting tool. Each option has its advantages and limitations, so consider your users' needs and preferences when making your decision.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos !!

Hey @johnbasha33 ,

Thank you for your suggestions.

1. The filter is already a dropdown filter.

2. Not ideal, but better then what I have now

3. Any examples you have? Not sure what you mean exactly.

4. Is already implemented.

5. Please explain me what you mean. How can I create a scrollable container?  This sounds like the perfect solution.

Thank you for your time.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.