Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

sbott
Regular Visitor

Filter based on content

Hi, I have a list of data in a column, some of the data contains the letters CE and some contains F&O. 

I need a filter with two options, CE or F&O, that when selected, only selects the data which contains either CE or F&O.

Just remembered to add the fact that I don't have access to change the source data, so have to use the values supplied for the report.

How can I achieve this?

3 REPLIES 3
v-xinruzhu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi,

Thanks for the solution @hackcrr  offered, and i want to offer some more information for user to refer to.

hello @sbott , based in your description, you cannot change the datasource, you can craete a measure to filter the data, you can refer to the following solution.

Sample data 

vxinruzhumsft_0-1715838966164.png

Create a measure.

Count = COUNTROWS(FILTER('Table',CONTAINSSTRING([Word],"CE")||CONTAINSSTRING([Word],"F&O")))

Then put the measure to the visual filter.

vxinruzhumsft_1-1715839028984.png

Output

vxinruzhumsft_2-1715839042241.png

Best Regards!

Yolo Zhu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

sbott
Regular Visitor

Hi @hackcrr I am not able to add any columns to the data, I just have access to the all the tables and contents, but not to alter it.

hackcrr
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

Hi, @sbott 

If you need a filter that allows users to select only data containing "CE" or "F&O" from a column without changing the source data, you can accomplish this by creating a calculated column or metric in Power BI. You can do the following.
Create a new calculated column:

FilterFlag = 
IF(
    CONTAINSSTRING([YourColumnName], "CE") || CONTAINSSTRING([YourColumnName], "F&O"),
    "Selected",
    "Not Selected"
)

You can now create slicers based on newly created calculated columns, and users can now select "Selected" or "Unselected" to filter data containing "CE" or "F&O".

Best Regards,

hackcrr

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.