Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

MStoib
Regular Visitor

Filter 2 tables without relation to each other

Hello,

I am new to Power BI and there is a problem that I just can't solve. There are two tables and I can't relate them to each other. The first table includes all archived orders. The second table contains all complayned orders. The columns of interest are the customer number and year. It is unfortunately so that in the table2 not always customer numbers are indicated. Also the year dates are never 100% correct because of year overlaps. So I can't link the tables via these two columns.

my goal:
Leave the tables without relation to each other so there is no Data lost.
A filter on my Power BI page which filters both tables independent by year and a filter for the customer. Right now this only works if I have two data slices with the filter for the year and two for the customer. I would like to have them combined. Also in the end i want to have a card that displays the Percentage of claimed to archived orders

My question:
Can I apply the filter I created over one column (year from table 1) also to the year from table 2 without relationship of the tables?
If yes how ?
If no how can I make the data filterable over customer as well as year ?
Do i have to combine the Data somehow ?

Thank you so much for helping!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @MStoib ,

For this you need to create two separated tables (years and customers) that include the all the distinct values of both order tables then you make a relationship of one to many from the new tables to the order tables and you can filter out the tables using only a slicer for each (year and customer).

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
karim123
Regular Visitor

Hello , I have a template table for filtering which contains the filter data and the fields I need to filter the report , the thing is I can't make a relationship because the filter changes everytime and I work with a lot of data , I can't seem to find something to make the filter happen without relating the 2 tables . Thanks a lot in advance for the help 

Hi @karim123 ,

What do you mean by you have filter data and fieds by they are changing everytime?

Regards

Miguel Félix

Hi  thanks for your answer , i have a table to filter , and then there's a table with new values from my main table which is the filter table , and the filter table changes everytime depends on the demand of filtering 

MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @MStoib ,

For this you need to create two separated tables (years and customers) that include the all the distinct values of both order tables then you make a relationship of one to many from the new tables to the order tables and you can filter out the tables using only a slicer for each (year and customer).

Regards

Miguel Félix

Thank you so much!! it worked !

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.